For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Looking to replace Mrs A's 17 year old Hyundai Getz 1.3 Automatic.

This car has been sooo reliable its not true, in 12 years of ownership the only none 'wear and tear' replacement has been an airbag warning light switch. OK, it only runs about 5k miles a year but in some respects that is more demanding because most of the time it is journeys of less than 5 miles.

Problem is that tin worm is starting to make an appearance and Mrs A is now regularly transporting our first grandchild around in her car. It has Isofix, which is good for the child seat, but it lacks many other features such as multiple air bags, air-conditioning and remote locking ... to name but a few.

We are very well acquainted with running small autos, we've been doing it nearly 40 years, but looking for a replacement is proving difficult. The main problem is that there are so many auto-boxes out there that are simply dreadful and unreliable. I'm trying to find a small auto that runs a traditional torque converter with slush box ... the vast majority have moved onto one of the many 'new' technologies, which from what I can see are almost exclusively designed to be problematic and unreliable.

The only small auto's still running 'traditional' auto boxes appear to be be Hyundai/Kia, well up to a couple of years ago, which is OK as we're not looking to buy anything new (budget around £9k)

So, any suggestions for small(ish) auto's running reliable auto transmissions? The reason we've held on to the present car for 12 years is that I knew that finding a replacement would be difficult. And my experience over the last couple of weeks is that all I can find is Hyundai iX20 or Kia Venga, which are essentially the same car, and very much the successors of the car we want to replace.

Small autos are a bit 'niche' I know, but thought it might be worth asking here .... my own current car arrived as a result of posting here ... so thought I'd try my luck again ....
By Rob P
Rob P wrote: ... no gearbox.

... no oil changes, no emissions, no spark plugs, no exhaust system, reduced brake pad wear, no air filter, no cambelt, no timing chain, no starting problems in cold weather, no antifreeze, no fuel tank, no fuel injection etc etc etc ...

Mind you, it is so obvious a solution that I fear the OP may be in a situation where home charging would be an issue.

Rob P
Flying_john liked this
By BobD
My wife does similar mileage in her car. In 2014 we replaced her automatic Suzuki Liana after10 years of trouble free motoring, with a Suzuki SX4 S-Cross (automatic). It has all the features you are looking for, and so far has given 7 years of trouble free motoring. Plus its a hatchback, with drop down rear seats. Can definitely recommend it.
By avtur3
Thanks for replies so far ... the one factor I forgot to mention is that the 'new' car will also take on the role of primary family transport, and therefore its mileage will increase above the current 5k year. Unfortunately the very limited range of an affordable Leaf/Zoe rule them out at this stage. Also, there may be a problem with our mains supply, a shared overhead connection ( think it's known as a loop supply), I'm getting this checked out. The new car will be required for 500 mile round trips several times per year.
By tcc1000
I've been a Zoe (41kWh) owner for 4 years - highly recommended... but we have a diesel people carrier for longer trips. For you I think the longer term option needs to be one of the new 50kWh Zoes with CCS charging. Older Zoes use AC fast charging which is becoming more rare.
If you have lots of less than 5-mile journeys, then a plug-in hybrid would be perfect - and you would be fine with 2.5kW/3kW charger which is no more than a 13A plug. Other than the Mitsubishi PHEV, I'm not sure what is available, presumably secondhand, to get in your price range. Many of the hybrids are effectively automatic.
By Rob P
With most journeys under 5 miles and another, ICE available a hybrid doesn't make much sense.

Rob P
johnm liked this
I bought a new Kia XCEED automatic (petrol) recently and would never return to manual. The 7 year “guarantee” was a consideration. I have yet to figure out all the extras that went with it ! An EV is not an option at present due to price, range and charging point quantity and location.
Flyin'Dutch', T6Harvard liked this
By rikur_
avtur3 wrote: The new car will be required for 500 mile round trips several times per year.

Depending how many 'several' is, it may be worth considering rentals for such trips. If it's just a couple of trips per year, it seems suboptimal to carry the running and maintenance costs of an ICE all year, rather than just renting when needed.