For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By JAFO
Rob P wrote:
Charles Hunt wrote:... medical shorthand for an uncomfortable procedure.

Regrettably that wasn't what came to my mind :oops: . Truly you are a better man than I

I googled it :shock:
Midnight golf at Wick tonight where the simmer dim allows play to proceed without difficulty
They’ll all be lying pi55ed in the odd bunker along the way, as usual.
OCB liked this
By kanga
Charles Hunt wrote:That looks like medical shorthand for an uncomfortable procedure.

<classicist nerd :oops: >

The oldest use of 'analemma' (ἀνάλημμα analēmma "support") in classical Greek is as a medical term, a sling for an injured limb; ~430 BC. There was also, later, a usage as an architectural term, a buttress for a wall; ~30 BC. At about the same time it was also used (as a Greek word in a fragmentary Latin text) for a sort of sundial, the first astronomical metaphor, if the attribution to Vitruvius Pollio of that era is correct, suggesting earlier usage by Greek astronomers:

"ἀνάλημμα est ratio conquisita solis cursu et umbrae crescentis ad brumam observatione inventa, e qua per rationes architectonicas circinique descriptiones est inventus effectus in mundo. "

(".. the equinox is used in constructing the figure of the analemma, in accordance with which the hours are marked to ... to the situation and the shadow of the gnomon. The analemma is a basis for calculation deduced from the course ..")

</>
By OCB
Bill McCarthy wrote:Midnight golf at Wick tonight where the simmer dim allows play to proceed without difficulty
They’ll all be lying pi55ed in the odd bunker along the way, as usual.

For many a year, I sauntered off with Duncan Loonan and other random weirdos to the standing stones at Sighthill in Glasgow - so famously hated by a certain Mrs T - at the summer Solstice to live the experience and maybe even see the sun shine through the stones.

Never once got to see a proper clear sunrise over the stones alas, but - honestly- it gave me a great appreciation (for the first time in my life anyway) of the technological and cultural achievements of pre-Christian folks of our Isles.

Apparently - going back probably 4 millennia - we could construct stellar calendars (although not the one at Sighthill, it got nabbed from France), as well as golf courses, then eventually illuminated books, whiskey, but not a football team that could score in a brothel…. :roll:
patowalker liked this
TopCat wrote:
Paultheparaglider wrote:
And, one more pedantic point, the evenings are still drawing out until the 24th.

That's when I start getting grumpy.

Be afraid, everyone.

Well, it is all downhill now. Sun rising later. Sun setting earlier.

And, to make matters worse, Oz and NZ are still closed so no escape there.

Life's a bitch.
Morten liked this
By kanga
Paultheparaglider wrote:..

And, to make matters worse, Oz and NZ are still closed so no escape there.

midwinter there, and Sydney has been (or felt) cold and wet, with assorted local fauna plagues nearby, as well as pandemic .. but still wish we could visit family there :?