For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Tried this in the EC thread but no answers !

Having been a Stratux ADSB receiver user for a few years now, both in its original USA form and more recently the Version for the EU, the latest and greatest version is now using the 64bit architecture of the Pi3B (or later).

So just off to order one, but does anyone know if the Pi3 or Pi4 will fit in the Stratux moulded cases, with the fan and space inside for GPS etc, or is it a different PCB size and shape.

I must say, now that it supports bearingless Mode C targets as well as 1090 ADSB and with additional NooElec receivers able to be used Flarm, PAW etc etc - it does seem to fit the bill quite well. The only snag I have had, has been the Nooelec supplied aerials. They do have a propensity to lose the centre pin and come adrift where the co-ax runs through the hinge, so I use the direct connection to the NooElec SDR with the telescopic aerial shortend to a few inches (about 3'') that sits in the front screen of the aeroplane. The supplied rubber aerials are just a simple 5/8ths over a 1/4 so not a lot to be gained there its much easier to place the small telescopic aerial in the front screen.
By T67M
The RPi4 is the same size and shape as (most of) the earlier models, however the various connectors have moved around so a case designed for the RPI2 and RPi3 won't fit the RPi4 and vice-versa. The RPi2 and RPi3 are interchangeable (well, almost - the LEDs have moved), and some models of the original RPi1 (B and B+) also fit the RPi2/RPi3 cases. The RPi1 (A and A+) will fit, but are smaller and so leave a gap at one end.

The Stratux case is primarily designed for the RPi3 and RPi2 - the LEDs aren't visible at all. The RPi4 won't fit.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Flying_john
Ah thankyou - just what I needed to know, so a 3 it will be then as I dont want to throw out the case. Good that they have built in Wifi now, one less thing hanging out the USB sockets.
By Grelly
I was able to make a Pi4 fit with some effort with a Junior hacksaw. As said above, the connectors have moved about a bit. However, I wasn't able to get the software to work with a Pi4 and had to go back to a 3b. If that has changed, I'd like to know.

Grelly
By Flying_john
It arrived yesterday, the 64bit Pi3 and it fits in the Stratux case perfectly, no mods. Plugged the Ublox and the SDR in and within 5 mins I was seeing traffic. Has reasonable map built in now too as well as support for OGN etc. I think I will get a Ublox on a wire now rather than the one built in, then I can mount the box discretely and just have the aerials (SDRs and GPS) in an optimum place, outside for the ADSB aerial.
Paul_Sengupta liked this