For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Believe it or not, after a severe drought lasting several weeks, this morning it is raining - and I did look under the Weber lid to check for a bag of charcoal. The sheep were to be sheared today but that will be put off - fleeces too wet.
Morten, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Sometimes the stress of lambing can make ewes cast their wool - not all at once, but little bits at a time which makes a terrible mess of the fields. There’s no harm in it but it makes the place look untidy. It’s a welfare thing to shear sheep- as you say, the wool is not worth much and it costs more to shear than the wool is worth. Other than that, it’s a good time to check their condition and to sort out which ones have had their day.
Charles Hunt liked this
Sooty25 wrote:mowed grass saves loads of avgas taxiing and taking off, so therefore, good for the environment!

I've tried taxiing through grown crop, its hard work!

But I run my mower and lawn tractor on avgas so does that mean I am doubly worser :pirat: :clown:
Trent772 wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:mowed grass saves loads of avgas taxiing and taking off, so therefore, good for the environment!

I've tried taxiing through grown crop, its hard work!

But I run my mower and lawn tractor on avgas so does that mean I am doubly worser :pirat: :clown:

No, but you can log the times!
Trent772 liked this
By townleyc
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paultheparaglider wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:
No, but you can log the times!

Logging hours for mowing is just not necessary.

For a chainsaw, on the other hand, logging hours seems to be appropriate. :wink:

Sorry @Paultheparaglider but shouldn't that be in the bad jokes thread?

:D :D

KE
Charliesixtysix wrote:... with tens of acres of mown grass for their leisure activity?

A fair point, but certainly at our base there's a very passable hay crop being baled this week.

Rob P
There are environmental schemes where there are rewards for delaying mowing and cultivating until after the ground nesting season. Even then, you have to mow in a certain manner - you are not allowed to mow progressively inwards in a field as it can gradually coral chicks into a central strip and when you mow that, it wipes them out. Mow outwards and they escape into adjacent areas. I’m not in the scheme but do it voluntarily.
I have a “wild” area where I mow single 6ft strips before the nesting season - the chicks can use these to scratch around in but escape into the undergrowth should a threat come from above. It works.
Flyin'Dutch', AndyR, Rob P and 2 others liked this
Rob P wrote:
Charliesixtysix wrote:... with tens of acres of mown grass for their leisure activity?

A fair point, but certainly at our base there's a very passable hay crop being baled this week.

Rob P

I've been at more than one UK military airfield where there was leased haymaking between the hard runways and taxiways :)
2 acre paddock next to ours.

Planted 500 native trees 4 years ago and my word, they are doing well. A couple of specimens trees, we have Seth the Sequoia, he is now 8 years old and 2 metres high. His young siblings, Bill and Ted (they are on an excellent adventure) are but 2' tall.

So we are expanding Trent Acres and I have just mowed a third of the paddock to sheep (dog) fence it off. Not all of that will stay mowed because I can't be arrrrst. It will give Woody somewhere to root about in.

This is the first year I haven't mowed the whole thing as the trees are sufficiently big to look after themselves, so I guess I qualify for hallowed status..... :mrgreen:

Saved 1 frog, 3 voles/mice but sadly the crows seemed to have some rich pickings as the sward was shortened.

Planting loads of Yellow Rattle this august to try suppress the grass naturally.
Morten liked this