For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I don't understand the issue about using a Weber. They're just conventional barbecues and are as easy/hard to use as any other charcoal barbecue, surely? They're just a little better made than the cheap ones and don't rust quite as quickly.

I am not usually a brand-loyalty snob, but in the case of Weber barbecues I make an exception. I have, over many years, tried a lot of different brands but have never found one that can rival Webers. One or two came close, Outback being one that springs to mind, but never quite equalled them. The principle of the actual cooking is the same on them all, but the longevity of the Webers I have had makes them easily the best value for money, and mine get lots of use.They are not cheap but I have always found that you generally get what you pay for in life. Taking care of them properly also helps.

I now have both gas and charcoal, both Weber, and operate a policy of less than 30 minutes cooking I use the gas and more than that (joints, turkey, whole chicken etc) I use the charcoal. I use smoke chips with both and honestly have trouble telling the difference in taste of the finished product whichever one I use. I took a bit of persuading to try gas, but having made the leap of faith I have never looked back and both have their place. The gas is particularly handy for using under the covered veranda when raining because of the lack of smoke.

Those in the "barbecues are just for sausage and burger" camp can happily ignore all the above. :wink:

PW

PS: on topic, I changed my gas cannister last week and tried to replace the empty spare. Calor were out of stock and couldn't give an estimate for availability, so were all the nearby retail outlets, but I managed to locate a local online supplier who has some and is delivering it tomorrow on an exchange basis. :thumleft:
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Difference is you cook with the lid closed on a Weber, treating it like an oven rather than a grill.

On a gas grill, doesn't taste much different than using a normal hob unless you add something to generate specific smoke flavours.

We have a mini Weber - I only remove the ash once a year or so. After cooking, I close it all down, putting the fire out, so I only need to add more charcoal every other cook, and then it's only a few more pieces. It's really low maintenance.
mick w liked this
By PeteSpencer
Propwash wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I don't understand the issue about using a Weber. They're just conventional barbecues and are as easy/hard to use as any other charcoal barbecue, surely? They're just a little better made than the cheap ones and don't rust quite as quickly.

I am not usually a brand-loyalty snob, but in the case of Weber barbecues I make an exception. I have, over many years, tried a lot of different brands but have never found one that can rival Webers. One or two came close, Outback being one that springs to mind, but never quite equalled them. The principle of the actual cooking is the same on them all, but the longevity of the Webers I have had makes them easily the best value for money, and mine get lots of use.They are not cheap but I have always found that you generally get what you pay for in life. Taking care of them properly also helps.

I now have both gas and charcoal, both Weber, and operate a policy of less than 30 minutes cooking I use the gas and more than that (joints, turkey, whole chicken etc) I use the charcoal. I use smoke chips with both and honestly have trouble telling the difference in taste of the finished product whichever one I use. I took a bit of persuading to try gas, but having made the leap of faith I have never looked back and both have their place. The gas is particularly handy for using under the covered veranda when raining because of the lack of smoke.

Those in the "barbecues are just for sausage and burger" camp can happily ignore all the above. :wink:

PW

PS: on topic, I changed my gas cannister last week and tried to replace the empty spare. Calor were out of stock and couldn't give an estimate for availability, so were all the nearby retail outlets, but I managed to locate a local online supplier who has some and is delivering it tomorrow on an exchange basis. :thumleft:

I've just had an email from the Calor Bottling depot less than a mile from where I live, saying they are now permanently closed to the public, delivery only: so I can no longer nip over and pick a cylinder up. Next delivery slot next tuesday, but fortunately there is enough gas in my 'zero-indicating bottle for the time being.

Break-break: The best barbeque I have ever had , after I kicked the Webers into touch was a Canadian Char-Broil : It was the D's Bs with gas heating lava rocks and enamel grill with slider to close the 'gaps' and turn it into a griddle.
It was mounted on a wheeled cedar wood frame and lasted over 20 years with a few replacement parts at great expense from Canada. Dead easy to clean......

The kids finally had enough of my bodge repairs and I got an Outback: Not as flash but covered up and sheltered when no in use its doing well.
Its advantage is it has interchangeable enamel griddle 'plates' for more adventurous slow stuff.

And I use a small metal wood chipping 'smoker' box the size of a small kleenex box if I really want to stink the place out.

And I don't get too sniffy about 'sausages and burgers' with three grandchildren under ten clamouring for them, though that said, our ten year old grand- daughter can devour a whole rack of lamb chops at a sitting.....

Peter :wink:
By Flyin'Dutch'
Rob P wrote:Weber or not (I suddenly realise that sounds like a speech impediment), the chimney starter is the greatest advance in barbecuing since charcoal was invented.

I fear your conversion to type was sub optimal @Flyin'Dutch' . In what way do you find the 'straightforward' replacement better?

Rob P

I think I did not get the indirect bollox right.

You know me, I am a simple mind, so fire->glow->grill is my way.

For stuff that needs to get slow cooked I use the oven as I am too young and still have too many exciting things to do to keep a slow cooker on the go with coal for an afternoon.

Maybe when I am as old and slow as some.

Obviously not going to admit that we also eat sausages and burgers now are we.

:D
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I think I did not get the indirect bollox right.

You know me, I am a simple mind, so fire->glow->grill is my way.

I am too young and still have too many exciting things to do to keep a slow cooker on the go with coal for an afternoon.

Various bits snipped

Well as @Paul_Sengupta has pointed out a Weber can be used for simple minded grilling. Just choose the area of coals you require, fence off the rest with the divider and forget you ever had a lid at all.

Slow cooking doesn't require any attention, set it up, put the lid on, go back three hours later

Rob P
By MarkOlding
My wife bought me one of these as a pressie 6 months ago and I now believe it to be the best thing since Weber's were invented....

https://www.bbq-barn.co.uk/Looftlighter ... oftlighter

No need for chimney's or firelighters, just a 13amp socket / extension cable...

But coupled with restaurant grade charcoal, you can be cooking in 15 minutes by whichever your chosen indirect or direct style.

And yes I know hot air guns work as well but they don't look as cool in my opinion. :lol:
I have to say as a Raised in South Africa South African , Gas is a nose Wheel, Wood is a tail wheel , i can start and have finished a Charcoal Braai for myself in less than an hour including stopping at the butcher to get the meat or a weber with rounds for 12 people inside 1.5 hours (but the meat is what is brung and i cook )
Keven :D
Just got my Outback Hybrid 3 burner grill.

Awesome !

1 burner has lava rock over it, (can have charcoal or briquettes) the other two just have the burner cover.

It replaced a Weber 200 egg that I have had for years.

Super impressed with the build quality and performance of the Outback - British designed, Chinese made :wink: