For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Got the barbie out this morning : Gas cylinder weighs a ton - feels half full: But gauge says empty.

I can hear the gas sloshing so I'm sure there's enough for a barbie but decided to not take a chance and get a full cylinder. No chance, everybody sold out and 'expecting a delivery tomorrow'.

Now I never normally buy retail but go to main Calor bottling plant less than a mile from my house:(I have had an account for 30+ years)

Went online to check current price to find that Main Calor Bottling plant has no cylinders and can't even do refills: In fact is now 'closed to public without an appointment.'
High demand due to Covid/Staycations/holidays/nice weather etc etc.

So I'm going to take a chance and assume the gauge is faulty (Never needed gauges in the past, gas content judged by weight/feel and audible 'slosh'.)

Wish me luck: will keep oven on standby....................... :roll:
By PeteSpencer
Can’t see much difference between lava rock heated by gas and setting fire to already half burnt wood. I’ve had my half century of hibachis and Weber kettles and sacks full of filthy charcoal.

Been there done that .,,,,,

Yes I can : speed, convenience and no ash to clear up If I really want to feed my guests with food soused in smoke and carcinogens I’ve got a wood chip smoker that does that …. :lol:
MikeB liked this
By MikeB
Ignore the gauge - if there's any liquid in it at all, there will be the same* pressure as a "full" bottle. (Henry's Law). Just ignore the gauge, hook it up to your barbie, and don't burn the sausages too much.

* Unless your bottle content happened to have a particularly high ethane and pentane content, coupled with a leaky valve resulting in you losing some ethane leaving pentane-rich propane and/or butane)
By PeteSpencer
MikeB wrote:Ignore the gauge - if there's any liquid in it at all, there will be the same* pressure as a "full" bottle. (Henry's Law). Just ignore the gauge, hook it up to your barbie, and don't burn the sausages too much.

* Unless your bottle content happened to have a particularly high ethane and pentane content, coupled with a leaky valve resulting in you losing some ethane leaving pentane-rich propane and/or butane)

Yep Ignored it and dust, flare and ash free barbie went well , with stacks of gas to spare.

Lamb chops pink to perfection and Cajun chicken kebabs will be remembered again tomorrow morning . And the grand-boy twins devoured a mountain of sausages .

And I thought the butcher home-made burgers were good and that’s from someone with chronic burger-indifference
So what is the point of a gauge? Never used to have them and remaining gas estimate was not difficult :shock:
MikeB liked this
By TheKentishFledgling
PeteSpencer wrote:Yes I can : speed, convenience and no ash to clear up If I really want to feed my guests with food soused in smoke and carcinogens I’ve got a wood chip smoker that does that …. :lol:

You’re doing it wrong if you have that much faff and flavour de carcinogens :wink:

Fresh bream cooked in under 40 minutes from lighting the coals this evening. Divine.
Rob P, PeteSpencer, AndyR liked this
By PeteSpencer
Looks gorgeous!

I guess you're still at the Weber stage.....

But give it another 30 years and the allure of the click of the piezo gas igniter will become irresistible. :roll:

Especially for those spur of the moment weekday evening barbies.........

Peter :thumleft:
By Flyin'Dutch'
PeteSpencer wrote:Looks gorgeous!

I guess you're still at the Weber stage.....

But give it another 30 years and the allure of the click of the piezo gas igniter will become irresistible. :roll:

Especially for those spur of the moment weekday evening barbies.........

Peter :thumleft:

After using gas BBQs for ages I thought I must get a Weber, everyone is so impressed with them. After two sessions gave the thing away and bought a very simple straight forward BBQ which with the help of one of those chimneys starts very easy and gives brilliant results.

So no more gas and no more Weber.
Rob P liked this
Weber or not (I suddenly realise that sounds like a speech impediment), the chimney starter is the greatest advance in barbecuing since charcoal was invented.

I fear your conversion to type was sub optimal @Flyin'Dutch' . In what way do you find the 'straightforward' replacement better?

Rob P