For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Trent772 wrote:Just got my Outback Hybrid 3 burner grill.

Awesome !

1 burner has lava rock over it, (can have charcoal or briquettes) the other two just have the burner cover.

It replaced a Weber 200 egg that I have had for years.

Super impressed with the build quality and performance of the Outback - British designed, Chinese made :wink:

Well now,

This has prompted me completely after 50 years to revise my barbie technique using my (relatively) new Outback 3-burner as a couple of the flame covers are already rusting:

Current set-up is 3/4 grill, 1/4 solid griddle plate

I tried one flame cover off only over the weekend using the lavarock/basket combo and it worked a treat:

(The Outback 'charcoal briquettes' are supposed to go in these baskets , to be lit by the burners then when alight burners are turned off to cook by charcoal -hence 'hybrid'-, using the burners as back up if needed as/if charcoal dies down too soon)

This seems like a complete return to charcoal faff with all the ash which is anathema to me, so:

I have now removed 2 of the worst flame covers and put in two Outback 'charcoal baskets' only have filled them with straight lava rock and putting in a large cast iron griddle which I've had for a coupla years and never used.

So next barbie will be 50% lavarock under grilles and 50% Solid griddle , retaining one to the flame covers under.

I'll still retain the fireproof barbie sheets for fatty, flarey stuff.

I also discovered an ace gadget in Waitrose barbie dept: A stainless steel perforated tray for delicate stuff like lamb rack chops, fish kebabs , small whole fish/sardines and even onions which then need minimal handling. Highly recommended. Image to follow....

I’ll report back after next barbie :wink:

Thanks @Trent772 for giving me the kick I needed to change...... :roll:

PS Calor delivered new gas and look like will be refunding for faulty indicator resulting in ‘empty’ cylinder going back with sig. but indeterminate amount of gas
Trent772 liked this