For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
It's the wrong way round, hence the need for a clumsy word like "detectorist". I mean the person should be called a "metal detector" and the equipment should be called a "metal detecting set". Simple, plain English.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Back in the day the Nauticalia Seasearcher magnet, the magnet fisher's tool of choice was also PIRA's preferred way of attaching bombs to the underside of cars.

Part of me wishes that I never needed to know that.

G
lobstaboy wrote:It's the wrong way round

In days gone by it was the nice lady who sat behind the clanking keyboard who was known as a typewriter

Rob P
johnm liked this
By kanga
.. and the clerk (often a lady) doing sums by hand or later on an adding machine or early mechanical calculator who was called a computer; such as the ladies at NASA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Figures

"..NASA has installed an IBM 7090 electronic computer that threatens to replace human computers. .."

Analogously, a 'secretary' was once a piece of furniture ..

[ISTR a debate in my College JCR on a motion to install a 'contraceptive machine' in the gents' toilet. I objected, not only because the motion did not include the ladies' toilet, but also because what the proponents presumably wanted was a 'contraceptive dispensing machine' :wink: ]
Rob P wrote:OK, it's probably a cheaper way of filling-in the time between learning to walk and being carried out feet first than burning loads of avgas in the sky.

But really?

Magnet fishing? You can't even eat scrap iron (or ordnance)

A grenade has been pulled out of the River Cam during a magnet fishing event in Cambridge this morning (Sunday, June 6).

Logan's Meadow, Cambridge has been cordoned off by police officers, likely until bomb disposal can make the area safe again.

It's understood the grenade was found during a small magnet fishing event on the River Cam.

There are large magnet fishing competitions? Is this April 1st?

Rob P

For those who participate in such things, it may have similar enjoyment value to a stop/go on a mile of empty tarmac in Cambridgeshire :wink:
Rob P wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:It's the wrong way round

In days gone by it was the nice lady who sat behind the clanking keyboard who was known as a typewriter

Rob P

In days gone even further by it was nice young men - originally type writing machines were thought too technical for ladies!
Rob P liked this
:shock:

(Side note, if the Bomb Squad are triggered by a bomb maybe they should look at different career options)
Sometimes magnet fishing is essential. Many was the time when I’ve dropped a tool or part from the upper levels of the boat back aft, to hear it drop 20 ft with a bong, twang, ping and plop on the way down into the lower level bilges. Rather than rip out several meters of pipeware and equipment, a magnet on a string was always a vital bit of kit - if you could roughly trace where it fell. Getting it not to stick to the hull and bits on the way down could drive you potty !
Rob P, kanga liked this