For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
OK, it's probably a cheaper way of filling-in the time between learning to walk and being carried out feet first than burning loads of avgas in the sky.

But really?

Magnet fishing? You can't even eat scrap iron (or ordnance)

A grenade has been pulled out of the River Cam during a magnet fishing event in Cambridge this morning (Sunday, June 6).

Logan's Meadow, Cambridge has been cordoned off by police officers, likely until bomb disposal can make the area safe again.

It's understood the grenade was found during a small magnet fishing event on the River Cam.

There are large magnet fishing competitions? Is this April 1st?

Rob P
johnm, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Rob P
What's the going rate for a grenade that is probably inert?

Rob P
By Rob P
A4 Pacific wrote:
£190

So drinks all round in the mess at Didcot tonight then?

Rob P
In my childhood youth in the early to late '70s, my parents took us on canal trips as our summer holiday (we loved them); sometimes a week and sometimes 2 weeks. We always had a "Sea Magnet".

As a small 'un, I quickly learned that people dropped lock keys (windlasses) close to lock gates, and I became adept at recovering them with a magnet, and charged £5 for recovery or replacement, because I came to know that the rental companies charged them £10 for replacement.
Everyone was a winner!

Fast forward 30 years or so and a group of my flying buddies started doing canal trips; I still took a Sea Magnet and still made a profit selling recovered keys.

(whilst dragging the length of the lock, the bonus of telling ignorant bystanders that you were taking your goldfish for a walk, or teaching your dog to swim was difficult with a straight face!)
Rob P, Sooty25, JAFO and 8 others liked this
By OCB
A Swiss friend and colleague had to hide his magnet activities, since it’s/was illegal - no matter how valiant the cause.

He once got rumbled, so he stuck the magnet into the inside pocket of his coat. Things were going well, until he got close to his car - you can probably imagine :)
Flyin'Dutch', T6Harvard liked this
Rob L wrote:As a small 'un, I quickly learned that people dropped lock keys (windlasses) close to lock gates, and I became adept at recovering them with a magnet, and charged £5 for recovery or replacement, because I came to know that the rental companies charged them £10 for replacement.
Everyone was a winner!

Fast forward 30 years or so and a group of my flying buddies started doing canal trips; I still took a Sea Magnet and still made a profit selling recovered keys.

Rob L wrote:This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Rob L, Rob P, rikur_ liked this
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
On a simar note, this sort of thing seems to happen quite often, though: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-57520248.

But since when is 'detectorist' a word? If an operator of a detector is a detectorist, should an operator of a radio be a radiorist, and are we all aeroplanists?
Call them treasure hunters or beach combers, metal seekers... or show some imagination and coin a cool word like auroqueror... but detectorist?