For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By eltonioni
Seems like the Covid Wuhan Lab thing is kicking off so in an attempt not to derail the longstanding C19 thread with a sniff of politics here's a separate thread. Mods, if this is verboten, apologies.

Biden's 90 day report is due back at the end of August but meantime there are so many nations/influencers rousing from their Covid recovery stupor and wondering if we've all been massive idiots in treating the Chinese regime as a friend.

Our own Richard Dearlove (the MI6 bloke) seems convinced that the evidence is compelling - China made it, lost control of it, covered it up, destroyed the evidence, silenced/leaned on anyone it could, and killed at least 3 million people (probably 10m) and counting. So as I type this on a machine Made In China, it seems quite a big deal with consequences for everyone and everything we know and love, including flying little aeroplanes.

As the kids say... Hashtag #HaveANastyFeelingLikeThisIsntGoingToEndVeryWellAtAll

Dearlove interview here:
TopCat liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Should anyone be interested and have the time to read it (it's quite long) then this article provides a good deal of useful context and analysis and reminds us how active the tinfoil hat brigade are on social media.

There are plenty of articles analysing this stuff, but this one seems to be pretty comprehensive and rational.
By TopCat
I've been increasingly concerned about China's ongoing world takeover since the early 90s.

Unfortunately, we like cheap stuff too much for anyone to have the political will to do anything about it, and it's probably too late.

I honestly believe we're living through the beginning of the end of western liberal democratic civilisation as we've known it.
By Charles Hunt
The Economist will tell us that trade is always right and beneficial.

I'm coming to the conclusion that self sufficiency at country level is desirable. I believe this is called isolationism.
Flyingfemme and 1 others liked this
By johnm
Self sufficiency does not preclude trade. The UK can be self sufficient in many things including seasonal vegetables but the option to eat fruit and veg out of season, or buy exotic versions implies trade.

"Free trade" is now and always has been the delusion because that only works if people observe consistent standards. Otherwise poor quality standards typically undercut high quality standards and everybody loses in the end.
By TopCat
kanga wrote:President Xi is encouraging more 'lovable' diplomacy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-57327177

From there:
Xi Jinping told senior Communist Party officials it was important to present an image of a "credible, loveable and respectable China", according to a report by state-run news agency Xinhua.

"Present an image".

Indeed. Who are they kidding?
Last edited by TopCat on Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Bill McCarthy
I’ve said time and time again that we have given China the rope that they are going to hang us with. All companies that went there to get articles made on the cheap presented the Chinese with high tech materiel which they have copied, and are now selling back to us. We only have ourselves to blame.
TopCat, johnm, T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By johnm
Until we get management that sees value rather than cost as the primary driver of decision we'll keep repeating the same old errors. I'm not anticipating seeing that get fixed in my lifetime, but maybe my grandchildren can have a go....
kanga, Spooky liked this
By Flyingfemme
johnm wrote:Until we get management that sees value rather than cost as the primary driver of decision we'll keep repeating the same old errors. I'm not anticipating seeing that get fixed in my lifetime, but maybe my grandchildren can have a go....

Until we get consumers that see value rather than cost as the primary driver of decision we'll keep repeating the same old errors.

Fixed that for you........
kanga, Charles Hunt, Spooky and 4 others liked this
By johnm
Flyingfemme wrote:
Until we get consumers that see value rather than cost as the primary driver of decision we'll keep repeating the same old errors.

Fixed that for you........

Management drives corporate attitudes
Corporate attitudes drive advertising
Advertising drives consumers, most of whom are suckers
By kanga
Malaysia complains of (and RMAF reacts to) Chinese intrusion into FIR

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57328868

Reportedly, Hawk 200s scrambled from Labuan. Ironically, ISTR that base being used by their elder relatives, Hunters (and Javelins from Singapore occasionally) in RAF days.
By Paul_Sengupta
But then pitch a television using a CRT, made in the UK, and sold for £1500, vs an up to date LED/LCD television with most of the components made in China sold for £400. See which one consumers choose.

This is a bit disingenuous as it is possible, through automation, to make the up to date televisions in the UK, so maybe not the best example, but it illustrates the sort of thing we're up against.

Can you say that "Made in England" has been synonymous with quality over the past few decades?
By kanga
Paul_Sengupta wrote:..

Can you say that "Made in England" has been synonymous with quality over the past few decades?

Certified aviation parts made in Gloucestershire seem still to be preferred over any Chinese copies :wink:

[ISTR a story from before UK joined the EEC but had domestic 'country of origin' marking regulations on some manufactured products. It was found that a line of Welsh-themed souvenirs selling well to English tourists in holiday areas had the marking only in Welsh, which was legal for goods sold only there. Most purchasers seemed to think it quaint, not realising that the translation was 'Made in Japan' :) ]
Last edited by kanga on Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Paul_Sengupta
Not quite a consumer product though!

kanga wrote:Most purchasers seemed to think it quaint, not realising that the translation was 'Made in Japan' :) ]

I once bought a Chinese girlfriend a cuddly Welsh Dragon. She was amused to see it was made in China.
kanga, Pete L liked this