For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By akg1486
As many Forumites are very tech-savy, this may be old news. But it does look incredible. Google is working on a video conferencing that scans the participants, sends the data across and renders them in 3D.

For someone who can easily remember the 64 kbit/s ISDN video conferencing from the early 90s, with a frame rate of 0.5 fps (one every two seconds) this is completely mind-blowing. It sort of resembles a prison visit, at least as we know them from movies. (I've never been incarcerated nor visited anyone who was.)

kanga liked this
By kanga
akg1486 wrote:..

For someone who can easily remember the 64 kbit/s ISDN ..

ISTR when I first started in telecommunications, anything >200 bauds was 'high-speed' :roll: That was HF printer .. ~20 years later, V.27 and V.29 fax down a Voice Grade Channel seemed miraculous </old fogey :oops: >
By akg1486
Colonel Panic wrote:Interesting, but what is the difference between this and a 3D TV? It seems to be re-inventing the wheel (albeit putting a 3D camera in the home).

I haven't read much about it yet, but I think the compression algorithms are at the heart of the project.