For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
not sure if this should be in Aviation section or not?

I've been helping out some Canadian families try to discover where a Handley Page Halifax came down close to our village in 1944, with 6 of the 7 lost in the crash. A request for information went on our local FaceBook group - and one of my neighbours popped up that she had a propellor in her garden :shock:

3 of us went to have a look, one of the others being a retired aero engineer with a "thing" for engines and props. Unfortunately, it's far too rusted (the prop - not the engineer), the spinner cap is lost without trace, and the only brass ring we found had no serial-type numbers on it.

The current property owner only knows it was in the woodland at the bottom of her property when she bought the place, and the house was built in the early 50s - although the woodland was there before. It's not impossible the original house owner had it as just a fun thing to have around.

Not necessarily asking if anyone on here can figure out what it is/is from (although that would be cool), but point me in the right direction?

It's clearly not from a WWII heavy bomber, that's obvious - but we are now curious to know what it could have come from!

The aero engineer suggests the only way to find intact serial numbers is to cut the thing open - which is an option - but he is intrigued by what look like some sort of external adjusting mechanism for each of the props. He thinks that's unusual enough that it might help get it identified - that's the last photo in the list. There also does seem to be a bit of reddish paint.

The photo with a stamped number comes from an alloy ring on the outside of the main hub.

Prop length will have been longer obviously, we just measured based on what was there.

Ends of the props show a bit of what could well have been "in service" damage - but hard to tell. The fact that parts seem to have been removed by hand makes me thinks it's something bought at a flea market or whatever.

Ideas what it's from? Thx!
Last edited by OCB on Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanga liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have absolutely no idea... But if I found something like that it would be displayed prominently as a feature in my garden for sure!!

Regards, SD..
By Dave W
@Andy Saunders - :thumleft:

I have a set of books that record - often in significant detail - every Luftwaffe crash in the UK during WW2.

@OCB If you're happy to identify the location further, I can try and narrow it down.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Andy Saunders wrote:I think I can help you.

The propeller assembly is German, WW2.

It is from a radial engine, and I suspect a Bramo-Fafnir 323.

Almost certainly, I'd say, this is from a Dornier 17-Z.

I suspect one must have crashed nearby.

Fascinating!

I am seriously impressed. Can you reveal why you have such detailed knowledge?
Colonel Panic liked this
By OCB
Yes, I’m in “poor little Belgium”, just south of Brussels - which I’m discovering was a turning point for bombers coming back from various points, and Allied a/c got jumped heavily.

Relating back to one night in May 1944, I’m making a tiny bit of help investigating, 3 heavy bombers were lost in a 10 minute period, and just a few hours earlier another heavy bomber came down in the same tiny radius of around 10km.
Last edited by OCB on Wed May 26, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By OCB
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:

Fascinating!

Yep - me too :)

In fact, happy to set up a Zoom @Andy Saunders or whatever call to get this off my plate!
@Flyin'Dutch'

Andy is an aviation historian, archaeologist and multi-published writer on matters related to aviation history. He also rescued some dH9 wrecks from India for Guy Black, one of which now flies, and a Spitfire from in front of the hovercraft terminal at Calais, also now flying.

He was my editor when I worked on Britain at War. Now he's the editor for Iron Cross, a serious magazine covering the German forces in 20th Century conflict, a cracking read.

He arrived here as a result of my heads-up this morning. I knew if anybody could identify a prop, he would be amongst the most likely.

He is also about to set out on his PPL, finally. So expect to see him popping up in the Student Forum.

He's a great consumer of Calvados, but his track record on Absinthe is not so good.

Rob P
Charles Hunt, OCB, Dave W and 7 others liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:

Fascinating!

It is just years of not getting out much... :|
Charles Hunt, Rob P, Flyin'Dutch' and 3 others liked this