For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Forfoxake
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
squawking 7700 wrote:@Forfoxake
strong reaction from the international community
- what do you suggest? the reality is, that nothing that will be done (if anything is done) will have punitive consequences for Lukashenko.
Let's face it, look what Putin has been up to, what's actually happened to affect Russia?

At least what johnm says!
@Forfoxake and it'll have exactly the same effect as it's having on Putin and Russia as a result of Russia's support for rebels in Eastern Ukraine....bu99er all - Merkel has been 'negotiating' there but we all know it's to keep Russia sweet with regard to Nordstream
By Sooty25
the passengers booked a flight from one EU country to another and there is no requirement to clear customs when crossing an airborne border with the intention to overfly. The passengers have no input into the route taken, they rely on the airline to provide a safe route, a route to them which remained inside the EU.

The flight was hijacked and nothing less.

I don't think Belarus should even have access to the passenger list, so those removed where clearly being watched. Maybe the individuals should have chosen to route differently, knowing how controversial they are, however this is very unprecedented.

I would be very interested to hear the flight deck recording to see how much of a protest the Ryanair pilots put up. I suspect that the conversation had been ongoing for most of the Belarus transit. It would be interesting to see where the interception actually occurred

The question is, would Belarus have been stupid enough to follow through with the threat to shoot it down? Would it have been deemed an "act of war" against an EU state?

I do agree with @PeteSpencer it isn't our problem, but as a part of the global community we have to object, the the same way Norway or New Zealand should.
By Sooty25
squawking 7700 wrote:Can't have meant that much to Ryanair - one of theirs through Belorussian airspace this morning en route Tallinn

probably after booting off any Belarusians/Ukrainians or anyone else they didn't like the sound of, without a refund, naturally!
Last edited by Sooty25 on Mon May 24, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JonathanB
I was looking up the Freedoms of the Air as the first freedom is about allowing international overflight. Surprisingly you don’t have to agree to it even if you’re an ICAO member state. Unsurprisingly, Belarus is not a signatory of the International Air Services Transit Agreement. (Mind you, neither is Canada!)
By Propwash
Having travelled all over the world by air since I retired I always take an interest in the routing of flights and select airlines accordingly. Perhaps from an overdose of caution I prefer where possible (and it isn't always) to avoid certain routes. That isn't just from considerations about potential threats from rogue states or insurgents with hand-launched weapons. I have declined to travel Down Under on flights that route via LAX since 9/11 because I see no reason why I should be required to endure US immigration and customs when stopping to refuel with no intention of stepping on US soil. That doesn't happen if I travel via HK or Singapore.

PW
By seanxair
A mate of mine is a Jet2 pilot. Saw him this morning and his take was if you are told there maybe a bomb on board and you are given a divert destination you are unlikey to start arguing about it. If the same thing happened here in UK airspace I guess a Typhoon or two may be scrambled to intercept or keep watch. His educated guess was that the Ryanair drivers would be concentrating on keeping the situation calm and doing what ATC would be telling them.
kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Can’t see why the Foreign Secretary is jumping up and down on M O’L’s behalf .

Isn’t it the case that RYR aircraft are registered in Eire? That’s EU business , not ours.

A bit like the Eurostar financial bail out -nowt to do with us :roll:

That is a very shortsighted view.

Maybe, but my logic's sound. :wink:
By JonathanB
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Breach of the first freedom.

Yes, but it turns out that you don’t need to sign up to that part of the Chicago convention if you don’t want to. Canada have rescinded their signature to IASTA (International Air Services Transit Agreement - the agreemeny that covers 1st and 2nd freedoms) and don’t automatically allow overflight. Belarus are not signatories to IASTA either.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedoms_of_the_air