For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Johnny
I was just wondering whether copying photos and material from other sites and posting here or elsewhere infringes anyones copyright! Presumably if the photo/ text is marked copyright then the original owner can protest and take action?
By Mike Cross
Were they being copied you would probably be right.

The one of Basil is actually a link to the site on which it appears, it has not been copied at all.

Where the copyright owner wishes he can prevent you from linking to the picture, as happens with airliners.net and others.

Mike
By Steve Morley
If the photo was on a subcscription only site such as corbis you could be sued for loss of revenue due putting it up on a public site.
By Gerard Clarke
In the UK, the existence of Copyright does not depend upon the work being marked "copyright".

Posting a link to another site is fine*, but posting an image on your own or someone else's site without the copyright owner's permission is naughty. You can't always assume that an image on the net is in the public domain as it may have been put up without permission.

*subject to an interesting argument as to derogatory usage if the link is from xxxhotgrumpytrafficwardens.com or voleticklers.net, or something even more perverted and decadent, such as the student forum here
Last edited by Gerard Clarke on Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Steve Morley
THAT IS NOT ME!! :lol:
What about that 'tache?
By Gerard Clarke
I know, Steve, that's why I've edited the post, to avoid being sued by him for a gazillion bucks, but now you can sue me for a gatrillion quid instead. Bugger!
By Steve Morley
:lol: :lol: Only if you're insured for a gatrillion. :wink:
(I did try to grow a 'tache once - looked like i'd taken a swig out of a badly made latte)
By Gerard Clarke
Bad luck, Steve, I've got about as much insurance as a chav in an untaxed Fiesta.

Moustache, huh? Not good. My only ill advised foray into beardcrime made me look like the love child of David Brent and Gary Bushell. I keep the hideous photos to remind me of my folly.

Er, Johnny, you can have your thread back now.
By Mike Cross
appears in the forum

On a point of pedantry - it doesn't, it appears in your browser. The image is delivered directly from the site where it is hosted to your browser, it does not go to the forum at all.