For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57149071

The UK is facing a shortage of Cadbury 99 Flakes after a surge in demand for soft-serve ice creams topped with the crumbly, chocolate treat.

The ice cream toppers are half the size of the Flakes sold at newsagents and petrol station counters.

"We are seeing a recent increase in demand for our Cadbury 99 Flake in the UK and Ireland that we had not expected," Cadbury owner Mondelez said.
By rf3flyer
The lead photo in that link is utterly unappealing! That's not ice cream! That's 'food-industry', homogenised, synthetic garbage!
Not sure the brown flaky bit is any better, so who cares if there's a shortage.
By Rob P
SEE!

I told you Brexit was a bad idea!

Rob P
kanga liked this
By riverrock
rf3flyer wrote:The lead photo in that link is utterly unappealing! That's not ice cream! That's 'food-industry', homogenised, synthetic garbage!
Not sure the brown flaky bit is any better, so who cares if there's a shortage.

Snob. :lol:

Soft serve can have pretty much the same simple ingredients as the hard stuff, ( https://icecreamdepot.com/blogs/recipes ... -ice-cream ) but if you buy it commercially both can have all the stabilisers and chemicals ( etc).

It's all in the churning and air addition.
By FlightDek
In my youth I spent 3 summers making ice-cream at an ice-cream parlour in N Ireland. Soft and hard ice-cream were exactly the same. The only difference is that the hard ice-cream started as 18 litre batches of soft ice-cream which was then put in the freezer.

The perk in my job is that I got all the flavours of hard ice-cream when they were still at the soft stage and of course there had to be some tasting - just to ensure quality, you understand :lol:

Mint and choc chip was my favourite :thumleft:
By Rob P
I am surprised that @kanga hasn't yet been along to link ice cream, sausages and Gloucestershire. There is still time.

Rob P
kanga liked this
By rf3flyer
@riverrock
Soft serve can have pretty much the same simple ingredients as the hard stuff, ( https://icecreamdepot.com/blogs/recipes%20...%20-ice-cream)

That recipe is how you might do it at home, but that won't be how it's done industrially, as you perfectly well know.
It's all in the churning and air addition.

Churning being the operative word there!

The benefit to you is that I won't be holding you up in the queue for one.
By Paul_Sengupta
How do you know that a full sized one shouldn't be called a 198?

rf3flyer wrote:That recipe is how you might do it at home, but that won't be how it's done industrially, as you perfectly well know.

It is how it's done in our local ice cream factory. It's the same stuff. It's nice, too!
MikeB liked this
By Paultheparaglider
Paul_Sengupta wrote:How do you know that a full sized one shouldn't be called a 198?

Because they were called 99s long before they started sticking these modern tiny flakes in. Give it another 50 years and they'll probably be palming us off with a single chocolate hundreds and thousands morsel stuck in the top.

And as for other chocolate bars these days... :wink:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
I'm afraid that having a full sized flake sticking out of an ice-cream must have been before my time.

TGI Fridays used to (maybe still do) a dessert called an "outrageous" which had a whole bar of Dairy Milk in it, snapped in half.
By akg1486
Someone should create a First World Problem-meme about this shortage.