For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
I know that "comparing length" isn't just a 1st world problem - and in the spirit of historic accuracy, I will pipe in and say that 99 Flakes were never the same size as normal confectionary Flakes BITD.

I had both friends and family in the local ice-cream business, and even without that - it was bliddy obvious the 99 Flakes were half the size of a normal Flake! :roll:
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
FlightDek wrote:Mint and choc chip was my favourite :thumleft:

Argh, I'm now craving a mint choc chip ice-cream!

We got the shock of our lives when we changed the nappy of our fifteen month old son after his very first mint choc chip ice cream…..,..,, :lol:
By OCB
GrahamB wrote:The other way to enjoy a Flake

I showed that advert to some non-Brit colleagues many years back. You could palpably see their desire to “get it” - and their utter failure to do so; which was purely a symptom of their “not spending time in the uk in front of the telly”...

After a pseudo-random test of said colleagues + ice cream and Flakes - apparently none of them actually recalled the ad.

I was lacking a supermodel, sports hero, ice cream van and spectacular background. The ice cream was quite good - and the Flakes were, well...Flakey?

Every single Belgian said the Flake was cheap disgusting “non chocolate”. Yeah, well - they are Belgian.

The only Brit who was there basically said “yeah, well - the advert is kinda funny”....
GrahamB liked this
By kanga
Rob P wrote:I am surprised that @kanga hasn't yet been along to link ice cream, sausages and Gloucestershire. There is still time.

Rob P

Ah, the 'Walls Roundabout' on the Gloucester Ring Road allusion ... :)

In the 1950s the UK Milk Marketing Board explored the possibility of preventing the marketing of 'Ice Cream' when it contained no real cream. The lawyers concluded that the description was too well established for that to be achieved. However, the MMB did manage to get a formal and enforceable definition of 'Dairy Ice Cream', with a minimum 'real cream' content :wink:
T6Harvard liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Some time ago a melt test was carried out on most of the shop brands of ice cream. If you saw the sludge that they separated and turned into, I’d swear that you’d never eat the stuff again.
rf3flyer liked this
By Rob L
I know of an ice-cream factory in the UK that has its own private flying strip, and it's not the one one Minchinhampton Common. I've landed at neither to collect ice-cream. Well, not the former.
tr7v8 liked this
By Rob P
kanga wrote:
Rob P wrote:I am surprised that @kanga hasn't yet been along to link ice cream, sausages and Gloucestershire. There is still time.

Rob P

Ah, the 'Walls Roundabout' on the Gloucester Ring Road allusion

Yes ... because Walls were butchers first and foremost, making a good enough living from the production of sausages, but in the days before people had domestic fridges demand for sausages in the summer declined both from storage difficulties as well as the more wintery feel for a big plate of bangers and mash.

So, to use up chilling capacity at the sausage factory, Thomas Wall orchestrated a shift in production to American-style ice cream for the summer months, a move delayed by WW1. In 1922 the first production was in London, only later at Barnwood.

Rob P
JAFO, kanga liked this
By eltonioni
rf3flyer wrote:The lead photo in that link is utterly unappealing! That's not ice cream! That's 'food-industry', homogenised, synthetic garbage!
Not sure the brown flaky bit is any better, so who cares if there's a shortage.

This might not look like much to you, but let me tell that halfway around a long fell run, the sight of the Mr Creamy van appearing out of the cloud at Burbage is up there with the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. Oh the sweet rush of sugar! :pig:

By Rob L
I was brought up just southwest of Gloucester in the 60's & 70's, and Walls ice cream was the most dreadful margarine-based product that was considered a "treat" at the time.
The thought of it now just ....

..sorry; just back from the bathroom: The thought of it now makes me think it was a dreadful product.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob L wrote:the most dreadful margarine-based product

It would be sold as vegan ice-cream these days and the price would be more than dairy...

Actually, I think they still sell really cheap non-dairy ice-cream in the supermarkets. Maybe they're missing a trick...
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By JAFO
Bill McCarthy wrote:Some time ago a melt test was carried out on most of the shop brands of ice cream. If you saw the sludge that they separated and turned into, I’d swear that you’d never eat the stuff again.

I will endeavour never to see that, then. :wink:
Paultheparaglider liked this
By Cessna571
When I was a kid a McDonald’s milkshake was frozen, it was a big lump of ice cream basically, and the best way to drink it was to go around the edge with your straw.

Last time I had one it was a warm, thickened with something, pot of goo, was disgusting. Didn’t actually taste of anything either.

McDonalds became “emergency food” for us about 10 years ago, (only eaten when food was needed and it was the only viable option) and now haven’t been near one for about 5 years. (We decided to plan better)

Anyone who has had ice cream in Italy knows that we don’t really bother making proper ice cream here.
T6Harvard liked this