For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
Cessna571 wrote:McDonalds became “emergency food” for us about 10 years ago, (only eaten when food was needed and it was the only viable option)

Food and McDonald's in the same sentence?

That said, my abstinence from Ronald's place stretches back to the day I ceased to be a sort-of-stepfather, so some thirty years.

With the notable exception of the one at Saucats with table service, French waitresses, alcohol and a lovely 50's Chevvy (I think) as part of the decor.

That one has strayed a long way from the corporate straitjacket.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Wed May 19, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Rob P straitjacket

(Sorry, couldn't let that one go. :D )
kanga, Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Ta muchly :D
By Paul_Sengupta
Cessna571 wrote:Anyone who has had ice cream in Italy knows that we don’t really bother making proper ice cream here.

Maybe you haven't had the right ice-cream here. The Italian stuff is ok, quite nice, but I wouldn't say it was the best.
By Cessna571
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Cessna571 wrote:Anyone who has had ice cream in Italy knows that we don’t really bother making proper ice cream here.

Maybe you haven't had the right ice-cream here. The Italian stuff is ok, quite nice, but I wouldn't say it was the best.

Then I’ve definitely not had the right ice cream here!
By PeteSpencer
Cessna571 wrote:
McDonalds became “emergency food” for us about 10 years ago, (only eaten when food was needed and it was the only viable option) and now haven’t been near one for about 5 years ago.

I have to admit I have missed my occasional trips to McDonalds with the grandchildren over the last year . Though in truth I prefer Burger King where one doesn’t tend to experience the mayo/tomato/ slime sliding down yer wrist as the last bite approaches , but I’m usually overruled . :(
smokescreen, chevvron liked this
By kanga
PeteSpencer wrote:
Cessna571 wrote:
McDonalds became “emergency food” for us about 10 years ago,...

..I prefer Burger King ..

[coninuing drift, and as possibly mentioned before :oops: ]

In Canada I much preferred Harvey's (Canadian chain) for quality and freshness of both meat and vegetable ingredients, the resulting bun being assembled in front of the customer. They do (or did) have outlets within some major airports, including IIRC Vancouver.

[Oh, and the Canadian doughnut chain, Tim Horton's, has been opening UK outlets; one is coming to Gloucester. :thumright: It is a matter of patriotic ideology for Canadians that they are MUCH better than the US 'Brand X', Dunkin Donuts :) There may be some truth in this: the daughter of Canadian colleagues and friends worked for TH's in Ottawa and volunteered to do a secondment at one of their outlets in one of the Allied bases in Afghanistan where there was a sizeable Canadian Forces contingent. There was also a DDs' outlet there. Daughter reported that the TH's was much more popular than DDs' with US as well as other Allied troops :wink: ]

However, McD was a great bonus in the summer of '84. We were on a transcontinental 6-week road trip with 3 small children (one very small), towing a pop-up camper, so at lunchtimes often sought fast-food outlets near major highways with large pull-through parking lots. The Olympics were 'on' in LA. At the beginning of the summer McD in US had announced a promotion whereby, if any US athlete won any medal, the following day every customer would get a random voucher against a future McD purchase, the vouchers being of greater value the higher the medal. Then the Soviet Bloc teams all pulled out in retaliation for the US-led boycott (followed by few others!) from the Moscow Olympics in '80 (after Soviet invasion of Afghanistan). The result was that US won many more medals, including a great many more Golds, than expected .. ISTR some Gold vouchers were good for a complete meal (burger, 'sides', drinks, dessert) for a family of 4 .. We had some VERY cheap lunch stops :)
By chevvron
S'not just Cadbury's Flakes, have you tried buying a jar of Marmite recently?
None of our local shops have it, oh they have plastic tubs far too large for our needs but none of the small convenient jars.
By Rob P
chevvron wrote:... far too large for our needs

:scratch: This is a concept I find hard to grasp

Rob P
Rob L liked this
By PeteSpencer
chevvron wrote:................................., have you tried buying a jar of Marmite recently?
None of our local shops have it, oh they have plastic tubs far too large for our needs but none of the small convenient jars.

Its all about the gallons of ale we haven't been drinking: :lol:
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 36374.html
By Paultheparaglider
Rob P wrote:
chevvron wrote:... far too large for our needs

:scratch: This is a concept I find hard to grasp

Rob P

Any size jar of Marmite would be far too large for my needs.

Must be a Marmite thing.