For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Charles Hunt
Despite having ridden motorcycles for over half a century, I have never been to the Isle of Man. I understand the TT races are not being run this year, and I don't think I could cope with the crowds.

With quarantine restrictions on most European Amber list countries, then how about a quick trip to the IoM on the old VFR800 after 17th May?

Any recommended crossing routes? (I'll be travelling from the S Coast) .
Do they still syphon the fuel out of your tank?
Any B&B recommendations? Clean cheap and cheerful is all I need.
Maybe a 3 night stay a few laps of the TT circuit, anything else recommended motorcycle related or not?
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Charles Hunt You'll need to check what the IoM rules are but I don't think a 3 night stay will be a goer before late June at the earliest....
By JAFO
I love the Isle of Man.

Landscape wise it's all the best bits of Britain in one small package.

I think Peel is my favourite part of the island but the great thing about the place is that if you have three days and a hire car, you can see everything. Do the full tourist bit - steam train to Douglas, horse drawn tram through the town, the train to Laxey and Ramsey, and you have to do Snaefell to see the seven kingdoms.

If you really want cheap, cheerful and close to the airport then there's the Sefton Express which is like a Travelodge. I hear that The George in Castletown isn't bad. There are lots of B&Bs, though, so you can find something to suit I'm sure. I haven't been for a couple of years but few seemed to take cards so have cash or - if such things still exist - cheques.

I would strongly suggest that you check their COVID precautions, though, as only vessels carrying residents are permitted to arrive in the island at the present time, I believe.
Awful Charlie liked this
By Awful Charlie
TT fortnight is always busy, but if you still fancy watching some action without the crowds, consider the MGP/Classic, normally to coincide with the August bank holiday weekend (yes, that doesn't fit with your May 17th objective though, and it is another covid casualty this year). In some ways, practice week can be better viewing than race week, with the advantage is is normally quieter still.
The COVID restrictions are of course changing as time goes on, and if you're interested Manx Radio has frequent updates on the current status. If you are going to take your VFR over, I think you'll find there are pretty limited crossing routes (ie Heysham) but there are hire options on the island which might be viable out of peak time - then you can get a commercial or even fly yourself to Ronaldsway. Last time I went over on the ferry (long time ago!) they didn't empty fuel tanks (just as well, the van had 20 gallons in it, the bikes in the back were full, and there was another 80 gallons in drums!), and I've either stayed with friends of a friend or in a tent so can't help you in that respect I'm afraid. Possibly FF can point you at someone!
Peel, Ramsey, railways, museums, all the things JAFO suggests - it's a magic place
By Flyingfemme
The IOM is still pretty much closed. I live there and haven’t been home for 14 months! Quarantine is required for everyone, even residents, and they are strict. I think you still need a permit to travel there. They have locked up dozens of people for quarantine and travel infractions. The rules may change in July.........
chevvron liked this
By Jodelman
Sadly now is not the time to plan a visit to the island. Restrictions in force at present are:-

-Isle of Man residents and key workers able to freely travel - air or sea with no limits on numbers

-Immediate family members, partners of Manx residents, and those who own property can apply

-Mandatory 21 day self-isolation on return or 7 days with negative test results on arrival and day 6 of isolation (additional restrictions apply to those who have travelled outside of Guernsey, Jersey and the United Kingdom 14 days prior to arrival in the Isle of Man)

-Those entering required to complete Landing Form for contact tracing

Hopefully by the end of June all restrictions will end.......but

However, when you can go, the island is well worth a visit.
By Charles Hunt
Crikey. I thought I'd seen something about travel between the home nations being de-restricted as of 17 May so imagined this would include IoM. :(

Still, end of June not too far away.

Thanks all for the information.