For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Damn.... I keep being outbid!
Currently USD 2,800,000. I'll leave it a bit and see where it goes instead of feeding the frenzy.

I reckon you could do quite well on the talkshow circuit / book writing etc. afterwards. Maybe not 2.8 MUSD well, but still....
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Glad to see they picked a good date.

Seeing that bid of $28m, I'm planning my own version for 5 November. The Brock's Booster. Bids welcome.

Basically, a kitchen chair with multiple single stage rocket boosters - for good redundancy - strapped to the legs. Plus one of my old paragliders for re-entry. Training given in deployment.

If there is enough interest, I'm prepared to manufacture multiple launch vehicles - I have six chairs available and plenty of old re-entry chutes. And, as a plus, they are single seaters, so you won't have to sit through ten minutes of me boring you to death on my thoughts for the Mark 2 version.
Paul_Sengupta, Flyin'Dutch', kanga and 1 others liked this
By nallen
When you have used up all your old paragliders in this noble endeavour, will you thereafter be named just Paulthe?
By Morten
Very droll... :)
But neither New Shepherd nor Virgin Galactic have any choice about 'remaining in space'. Impressive as both ventures are, they are really just parabolic flights, much like any of us could do in our aircraft.
The energy required to actually reach orbit is another order of magnitude higher than just popping up over the Karman line...
Last edited by Morten on Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Morten
Mike Tango wrote:It went for a snip at $28m…

Bidder pays $28m for space trip with Amazon's Bezos

Slight reshuffle of seats. https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/07/15/b ... aceflight/
It turns out that having paid 28 MUSD for their seat, the winner of the seat has a scheduling conflict... Maybe they are washing their hair?

As opposed to being an heir which now gets to be the youngest in space - suitably accompanying the oldest to space!