For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Looked like fantastic fun. Doing this and Virgin Galactic would be the best of both worlds.

Virgin Galactic for the building anticipation of the flight up there coupled with a whole load of time to reflect and absorb everything on the way down as you glide back to earth. Graceful and civilised.

Blue Origin for the sheer exhilaration of a rocket launch.

If I won EuroMillions (which would be a challenge considering I don't play...) I'd book both!
By leiafee
Rob L wrote:
leiafee wrote:I snivelled.

Because despite the fact Bezos is a dreadful human, I’m soppy and Wally Funk was SO elated she nearly bashed the interviewer in the chops with the mic and it was just joyful and lovely.

I mean usually I’m ”eat the rich” but… We’re all allowed at least one one problematic fav and space rockets are mine.
nallen, Morten, kanga liked this
Rob L wrote:
leiafee wrote:...Because despite the fact Bezos is a dreadful human....
<snip>

He's human; what makes him dreadful?

I’m a pretty rabid capitalist but Mr Bezos takes it several steps too far.
“Your margin is my opportunity”?
He has used OPM to hound small business out and take a slice of everyone else’s profits.
His ideas have been good, in parts, but greedily pursued.
My capitalism says that business needs to be win-win to be acceptable.
But I don’t object to his “tax dodging” - he doesn’t make the rules, just plays by them.
skydriller liked this
leiafee wrote:
Rob L wrote:
leiafee wrote:...Because despite the fact Bezos is a dreadful human....
<snip>

He's human; what makes him dreadful?

This feels like a trap. I’m not playing. Everyone knows my politics perfectly well.

Eh? Who's talking politics? I asked a polite question, I think.
By Pete L
I was genuinely interested in which of Mr Bezos' characteristics were least acceptable (as opposed any other random billionaire retailer - of an unpleasant bunch in general I would have him as lower down the list for being first against the wall when the revolution comes than Philip Green but perhaps not as low - in his day - as John Spedan Lewis). Clearly he, like Bill Gates, has failed to meet the expectations of what seem like perfectly pleasant women - which might give you an idea a to what they're like in private - but that happens to 1/3 of the population anyway (and I fail to meet Viv's expectations on a daily basis).

Whether or not mass distribution companies as rent acquirers are a social good compared to a lot of smaller and less efficient suppliers is a completely diffferent matter. But you can't lay that one at Bezos' door - it's being going on since the cart was invented and possibly before.
Morten liked this
FAA changes 'astronaut' definition: "astronaut hopefuls must be part of the flight crew and make contributions to space flight safety."; excluding Bezos' crew (because vehicle was autonomous), and Branson's (apart from the pilots, presumably)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57950149