For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By CloudHound
Big Sur 11.3.1 has killed my printer :( boohoo!

The repercussions of my last MacOS upgrade to my 27" iMac continue with my old but perfectly serviceable Brother DCP-195C inkjet scanner/printer no longer compatible driver-wise.

Looking to spend up to £200 on an All-In-One scanner/printer I notice Ink Tank seems to be a better way to consume ink.

Has anyone got experience of this system over traditional cartridges?
By eltonioni
Swapped to an ink tank printer a few weeks ago and it's been quite good so far. The ink levels haven't moved. Canon G5050.
By eltonioni
CloudHound wrote:Looks good but I need an All-in so the 5050 doesn't appear to scan.

Also the IOS compatibility looks low - about two releases back.

Yup, but I have a heavy-duty standalone Canon scanner so deliberately went for the print only version which the scanner sits nicely on top of. The G6050 is the same printer with a built-in scanner. https://www.canon.co.uk/printers/refill ... -printers/
By malcolmfrost
CloudHound wrote:I print to colour and occasionally photos. My old printer was reasonable to good depending on source. How well does your Epson handle photos and the like?

Pretty good as far as I can see, not quite up to our old HP but acceptable.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We have a Canon TS6150 we get cartridges from cartridge save and the cost is modest, performance and in particular colour rendering, very good and it has a scanner/copier. It also supports Apple airprint
By Genghis the Engineer
I've recently switched from an Epson cartridge system to an Epson ink tank system.

Sips ink, great print quality, kicking myself for not properly reading the description and inadvertently getting one where any duplex scanning and printing is through manual reversing of pages rather than built-in as per its predecessor.

G
By MattL
My home HP and the Epsons at the club seem to ignore AirPrint randomly, usually when time critical and needing to print a form before a test or some other stress inducing time, then will connect fine for no apparent reason. Are the canons any better?
By riverrock
How often do you print?
My last Epson printer, I didn't print often enough and the head got blocked permanently.
Similar with HP deskjet, but I just had to replace cartridges.
So got a B&W Laser from brother. Cheaper, faster, no maintenance issues.

Didn't go down the colour route as the cheaper colour lasers from all manufacturers put coloured toner straight in the bin if you print a B&W page. If we want coloured phots we use one of the many online photo printing companies.
By T67M
I gave up on inkjet years ago due to constantly blocked heads as I don't print much. I currently use a cheap colour laser printer/all-in-one and I've never had a problem with it "put[ting] the colour toner straight in the bin when printing black and white", although I have noticed that explicitly setting monochrome mode for those jobs does produce faster, crisper print outs.
By PeteSpencer
I got fed up with my 18 year old HP inkjet refusing to print on photo paper ('paper blockage ' caption every time) and intermittently flagging 'scanner failure', taking an hour of my life to sort.

In addition it kept refusing to recognise my laptop and with no bluetooth, printing my SD plog from my iPad mine involved complicated faff involving email , not ideal when I'm ready to go out the door to fly.

I needed an all in one and needed a flatbed scanner and (yes, really) a fax.I plumped for another HP all-in-one Laser Jet Pro printer, not ink tank but with separate cartridges and an easily accessible individual ink level indicator.

And glory be, wireless printing............., 'both sides auto printing and 'booklet stuff.'

And with wireless it's the D's Bs , will print from my iPhone. and as it has its own email address I can print from my iPhone from the next county. And the photos are amazing. Can't believe I struggled on with the old one for so long.

I'm a very intermittent printer but I've never ever had printer blockage: I put this down to the fact that I always use HP cartridges and not the cheapskate 'compatible with' copy cr ap.