For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Cessna571
Burnt my arm at the weekend.

Not a large burn, but quite a deep one (took the skin with it) and about an inch square.

Realised I didn’t have any dressings, popped into Boots, picked up some dressings.

Asked the pharmacist if they had any creams etc, Pharmacist said “no, leave it open, let it dry”.

After going to minor injuries unit this morning I can confirm, this is very (very) wrong.

I now have a tube of yellow paraffin (Posh Vaseline) and the burn is smothered in that and covered with a non stick dressing.

“Help and Advice”...

It feels really odd to smother what effectively looks like an open wound with Vaseline, but apparently that’s what you should do, and it appears to be working.

I’m on a mission to tell everyone and wondering why nobody knows what to do.

I didn’t.
Aerials liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Red Cross have a useful First Aid app.
By Cessna571
Rjk983 wrote:Boots were half right, you don’t want to be putting anything onto the burnt area that can stick to the blister or damaged skin.

Here is the NHS advice for immediate action and when the burn is bad enough to need to go to A&E

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/burns-and ... treatment/

“Let it dry” was the problem.

It needs to be kept wet in order to heal in fact!

Vaseline and plenty of it, and something to cover it so that infection doesn’t get in.
kanga liked this
By Cessna571
Bill McCarthy wrote:Too late now, but it is important to take the heat out of it first with cold water - gels can prevent that by acting as an “insulator”.

and apparently, not just for 5 mins like I did.

A good 20 mins I was told.
T6Harvard liked this
By johnm
Red cross recommends at least 10 mins under cold water and then cover with cling film or clean plastic bag and then seek professional help....
By PeteSpencer
Honey is good under the clingfilm if no petroleum gel immediately to hand.

Presupposes you eat honey of course; I can't stand the stuff ever since a heavy session on BrandyMel with the local fishermen in the Algarve in the 80s..................... :puker: :drunken:
My Portuguese is sh it hot after half a bottle though :roll:
smokescreen, Rob L liked this
By VRB_20kt
Immediate cold water for far longer than you can imagine saved my son from scarring when as a two year old he dragged the boiling kettle onto his arm.

TBH I’m a bit surprised at the use of Vaseline - not something I’ve come across. Cling film is certainly useful and as others have said, honey is a great antiseptic.
By Rob L
I keep a pack of frozen peas in my freezer for just such an occasion (I do rotate it as it's a consumable!)*

Also keep some Bicarbonate of Soda in stock in the cupboard; quickly make a paste with water and it will help cool a minor burn.

As others have said: keep the burn cold as quickly as possible. A cold-water tap is the quickest.

Rob

* A friend of mine had a more serious injury circa 14 months ago (just at the start of the first lockdown) involving a table saw and the loss of all four fingers of one hand. The use of a pack of frozen peas followed by a quick trip to hospital (and then many more) aided three of the severed fingers to be re-attached(with success but some level of subsequent disability of course).
By riverrock
Recommendation is cool or luke warm water rather than ice / frozen things / very cold water as you can damage the tissues further.

Vaseline ( or equivalent) helps it heal afterwards by keeping it moist but as said above, need to take the temperature of of it first ( at least 10 min, preferably 20 under tap unless you have a burn pack with cooling gel) then cover with cling film to keep that moisture in.
By JAFO
Rob L wrote:I keep a pack of frozen peas in my freezer for just such an occasion...

Then I sincerely hope no-one in your household ever has a burn as you will be more likely to do harm than good with that.

Cool water for at least twenty minutes. Ideally to have a bowl or similar with fresh water running through it but not a jet of water directly on the burn.
By OCB
Missus is up to date Red Cross, and also up to date firefighter.

I am officially “chief Scout” for nearly 500 young’uns - a mainly ceremonial role, but basic first aid...let’s all keep ourselves up to date, shall we gentlemen?

The only thing I would add at a techie level is the existence of hydro-gels that cannot repair damaged skin, but will reduce the pain and give the impression the wound will heal faster. It won’t, but when it hurts less, it’s a win.
Awful Charlie liked this
By Bill McCarthy
The navy learned the hard way in the Falklands shenanigans - working gear was made out of “easycare” cotton nylon material which when melted stuck to the skin in large areas. When removed it took large chunks of skin with it. A move was made to go back to the old cotton material, but guess what - they’re back to synthetic stuff again. Messdecks were all panelled out in fancy wood/formica to make them more “liveable” in but when there was an explosion the wood splintered into sharp shards which affected eyes rather badly. Far from the bare steel finish on my first few ships. What do you go flying in ?