For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
Can anyone explain why on Earth anyone would feel that a sign would be placed 142 yards (129.8m) from a junction and then annotated with such precision?

Is it OCD to think that positioning it 24 feet earlier, or even 20 feet and fudge the figures would be more rational?

Rob P
By Rob P
Ah... Quora.

I hadn't thought of asking there, it being my goto site for reading idiot trans-Atlantics asking if "England" had been involved in WW2.

That was a short lived question. Thank you Ian.

Rob P
eltonioni liked this
By Rob P
@Colonel Panic

That is simply brilliant!

Pondering this further I find it isn't unusual for a modern performance car to stop from 60 mph (not 50 mph) in 30 yards or so. It shows how progress has been made since the days of drum brakes and skinny crossply tyres.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Tue May 04, 2021 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Rob P
I toyed with the idea of measuring the actual distance on Google Earth but was defeated by the trees.

Does anyone have one of those natty wheeled distance measurers that surveyors use which I can borrow?

Rob P
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:Does anyone have one of those natty wheeled distance measurers that surveyors use which I can borrow?

I just use my bike - stick a chalk line on the tyre to measure one turn of the wheel
Rob P liked this