For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I'm new on here so if this is the wrong place to post this kind of thing please let me know.

I've noticed recently that some 2-reg aircraft that I'm certain are civilian are appearing under the military filter on ADS-B Exchange. I believe this is due to the transponder code (beginning with 43), but I don't know how a civilian aircraft has a military transponder code. Can anyone confirm that these indeed are civilian or otherwise?

These are some of the registrations that are appearing as military
2-TAKA
2-DRDR (screenshot attached)
2-DEWS
I was enjoying the idea of any owner wishing to use the Guernsey (or Jersey or IoM) registry having a concomitant obligation to make the aircraft and its crew available for the local jurisdiction's military requirements in emergency; a sort of Royal Bailiwick Auxiliary Air Force or Civil Air Guard :) I hope associated heraldry would have motto in Dgèrnésiais :wink:
Rob P liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
On a related theme of dis-identification, when I setup my SkyEcho ADSB transmitter, is there any law that states that I must use the correct aircraft registration rather than makeup and arbitrary name ? This would satisfy the requirement for being seen, but would desirably obfuscate my movements.

Iceman 8)
By GrahamB
Iceman wrote:On a related theme of dis-identification, when I setup my SkyEcho ADSB transmitter, is there any law that states that I must use the correct aircraft registration rather than makeup and arbitrary name ? This would satisfy the requirement for being seen, but would desirably obfuscate my movements.

Iceman 8)

I don’t know the answer to your specific question, but it would be pointless where ground station systems are looking up the aircraft details including ownership using the ICAO hex ID.
By GrahamB
Iceman wrote:@GrahamB, I should have specified that this particular aircraft only has a Mode-C transponder so your comment doesn’t apply.

I'm pretty sure SE2's ADSB-out will need to have a hex id specified. I have no idea what validation the device applies, though.
ArtDaS2710 wrote:Sorry, correction: From what I've seen, I think all UK military aircraft have hex starting with 43, likewise USA military all seems to be AE, whereas everything else in the UK starts with 40, and the hex of the 2-regs that I listed have 43 at the start

UK mil use 43C , and UK oversea possessions (?) use 43E. So if someone's scanning software is only looking at the first two digits the will be confusion.
Exatco wrote:.. UK oversea possessions (?) ...

'Dependent Territories', I believe, is the current term :wink:

[I can recall the Colonial Office (under the 'Colonial Secretary' and even, at one stage, the 'Secretary for War and the Colonies' :roll: ), which became the Commonwealth Relations Office ('Commonwealth Secretary'), which was absorbed into the Foreign Office as the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (under the 'Foreign Secretary', and with a 'Dependent Territories Division'), which quite recently became the 'Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office' with absorption of former 'Department for International Development'. I'm not quite old enough to remember the India Office :) ]
Exatco wrote:
ArtDaS2710 wrote:Sorry, correction: From what I've seen, I think all UK military aircraft have hex starting with 43, likewise USA military all seems to be AE, whereas everything else in the UK starts with 40, and the hex of the 2-regs that I listed have 43 at the start

UK mil use 43C , and UK oversea possessions (?) use 43E. So if someone's scanning software is only looking at the first two digits the will be confusion.

Thanks, that seems to be what's happening and I presume that's what ADS-B Exchange does for filtering by military