For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Hello. I am a UK student working on a research project based on female initiatives by aviation organisations and their effectiveness. As part of the primary research, I would appreciate if female pilots could complete a questionnaire attached below by sparing 10 minutes or less. Please be wary that this questionnaire is targeted at female pilots ONLY. All submissions remain anonymous. The data collected will be stored for research purposes only, being erased thereafter.

The aim of the research is to suggest that female initiatives are effective and may aid in lifting the gender disparity for the profession, however providing a balancing argument that women do or can progress without initiatives. If you have any queries regarding the research and participation, please feel free to ask/contact.

Many thanks beforehand to those who do decide to complete the questionnaire. Your responses are significant and will help shape the research in terms of the scale and subsequent findings.

Stay safe,

Mehreen A.

https://forms.office.com/r/NMHHV6mirS
rogerb wrote:Is this looking at females specifically in piloting roles ?

Thank you for responding. Yes, it is aimed at females who have some form of experience in any stream of flying. They do not exactly have to be in employment. They could be trainee/student pilots. The criteria for female pilots may range from general flying to business or commercial flying, in the armed forces (the military, air force, navy), cargo pilots, etc. In basic terms respondents are required to be female and have flying experience to (possibly) advance or have advanced into a professional role.
Happy to answer further questions. Also if you know of any other relevant topics or forums more appropriate for where I can distribute the questionnaire, please let me know. Stay safe.
leiafee wrote:I started it but it became clear quickly it doesn’t seem intended for me as “just want to fly around for fun”.

May need some guidance more upfront that it’s specifically working pilots (or those who want to be) that you’re seeking to reach.

Regardless of if you fly for a hobby, you could still complete the questionnaire. Your interest in flying as a female is what matters, even if it is not intended for professional purposes. The aim of the questionnaire is to establish whether females are aware of initiatives (to establish their effectiveness for reaching the right audience) and whether you have experienced any gender-related challenges whilst flying (as a hobby too), suggesting why initiatives are in place. I agree the questionnaire is geared towards females aiming to achieve flying as an occupation, however your input would also be valuable in terms of how you were exposed to flying as a hobby, your take on programs/initiatives, if you are aware of them, gender challenges, etc., as you are, I presume, a female. Not many females are exposed to flying as a hobby leisure activity either never mind as a potential profession.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Spooky wrote:If looking for commercial pilots, you’re probably better off posting it at PPrune

That brings up an interesting question - how many female commercial/airline pilots are on the forum? I can think of a number of female PPLs and a number of male airline pilots on here, but I can't think of a female airline pilot on here.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Spooky wrote:If looking for commercial pilots, you’re probably better off posting it at PPrune

That brings up an interesting question - how many female commercial/airline pilots are on the forum? I can think of a number of female PPLs and a number of male airline pilots on here, but I can't think of a female airline pilot on here.

I am a new user here so I am unaware. Hence, I have attempted to share the questionnaire on various platforms.
If looking for commercial pilots, you’re probably better off posting it at PPrune.

If it’s professional pilots you are wishing to access, recruiting the assistance of the British Air Line Pilots Association (BALPA) would seem a sensible step?

https://www.balpa.org/Contact

Or indeed IFALPA should you wish to broaden your reach.

I can’t be sure pprune would be entirely to your liking?
mehreenabbass liked this
A4 Pacific wrote:
If looking for commercial pilots, you’re probably better off posting it at PPrune.

If it’s professional pilots you are wishing to access, recruiting the assistance of the British Air Line Pilots Association (BALPA) would seem a sensible step?

https://www.balpa.org/Contact

Or indeed IFALPA should you wish to broaden your reach.

Professional pilots as well as trainees/cadets. Thank you for the suggestions!
Paul_Sengupta wrote:That brings up an interesting question - how many female commercial/airline pilots are on the forum? I can think of a number of female PPLs and a number of male airline pilots on here, but I can't think of a female airline pilot on here.

Sizeist! My CPL is exercised on something quite a bit smaller than an Airbus but I still get paid and it is a position of responsibility.
My interest in aviation comes from a time when "girls" were simply not included in training schemes. In fact, the RAF had an official policy of no female flightcrew. By the time that changed I was too old to start training. The airlines had no actual prohibition on female crew but you needed to have the money for training and we weren't rich enough.
I have always felt welcomed by the men I have met when flying - gender doesn't seem to come into it as long as you share the love of flight and/or messing around with oily things. I think that's still the case.
It seems to be just too little exposure to much that is technical for females. I enjoy taking non-flying women for their first light aircraft flight and letting them try it out. They are always surprised that you don't have to manhandle the machine around the sky.
MikeB, Flyin'Dutch', T6Harvard and 2 others liked this