For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By ROG
Recently having a problem with some ATC---.it seems to be very fast sl;ioghtly unclear sppeech--obviously one doesn"t want to say "say again" too often".
I have no problem listening to a normal radio--bbc etc. although TV can sometimes be a problem.
I know that I have lost some very high frequencies and have hearing aids for that which I have hardly used.
I shall use them on next flight to see if that solves it.
No problem with everyday normal conversations.
Basically it"s probably an age thing but wonder if anyone else has similar and is there any particularly headset that would help. Any thoughts ,ideas welcome.
Current headset clark 13-4.
Apparently my friends advise the brain and handling are still ok.
By ArthurG
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Like the two previous posters, I've got an ANRMAN converted headset. If I forget to power it up when I take off, I can just about catch everything said on the radio. When I realise and turn the ANR on, all becomes crystal clear!
I would certainly say a good ANR setup should make your life much easier.

Whether a DC conversion, Bose, Lightspeed, SEHT etc. I'd not wish to judge as we all have our preferences, but whilst the DCs are good passive headsets, they're still passive, and the technology has moved on. ANR does make it much easier to hear, well, anything, as well as generally reducing your stress levels and thus improve your mental processing power.

G
Charliesixtysix liked this
It helps that current radios have a button to replay the last message.

Rob P
Think earlier reply lost somewhere.
Our replay button on trig radio went u/s this morning. Spoke to our avionics man--he advised trig want £400 standard charge to look at radio which is out of warranty.
Will contact ANR ,MAN.
Thanks to all.
Rob P liked this
By PeteSpencer
ROG wrote:Think earlier reply lost somewhere.
Our replay button on trig radio went u/s this morning. Spoke to our avionics man--he advised trig want £400 standard charge to look at radio which is out of warranty.
Will contact ANR ,MAN.
Thanks to all.

But bin the cloth covers ROG: they diminish the ANR effect and as I’ve said recently elsewhere they rapidly get manky and block the pump in yer washing machine (albeit only once) :lol:
It may also be worth playing with settings - I’ve flown in 13 different aircraft over the last two weeks and some have had awful comms that were resolved with some juggling of squelch / intercom volume / comms volume levels . Different headsets together can also induce level problems which need some levels juggling.
ROG wrote: Spoke to our avionics man--he advised trig want £400 standard charge to look at radio which is out of warranty.

It may gain you nothing, but in this instance I would go direct to Trig Customer Service. They have bent over backwards to help us with a transponder they built, but which carries another manufacturer's label and which is well out of warranty.

enquiries@trig-avionics.com

Rob P
Nick liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
CAP 413 section 2.8 para 4
“Maintain an even rate of speech not exceeding 100 words per minute. When it is known that elements of the message will be written down by the recipients, speak at a slightly slower rate.”
Nothing in CAP493 about rate of speech but if we need to slow down so they can write it surely reciprocation is reasonable and necessary for the safe operation of the flight.
I have heard ATC speaking far too fast. Maybe a reminder not to exceed 100 wpm might help.