For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By eltonioni
Ok, it's a risk / punt but where are we all planning to go in the foreseeable future?

We have Dublin in June, Mallorca in October and the Azores in November.

Portugal looks enticing too but can't really work out when looks possible.
By Miscellaneous
Same for me, no great desire to have the hassle of getting on an aluminium tube to spend however many claustrophobic hours at 30 plus thousand feet to get anywhere. My enthusiasm prior to covid was pretty low, post covid I don't know you could pay me enough to put up with the inconvenience. :D
A4 Pacific, T6Harvard, AndyR and 1 others liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Couple of trips to Scotland, first one is booked for end of May :D

Hopefully some other long weekends in the UK, not yet planned.

MrT6 is desperate to visit Swiss Alps again asap but we don't anticipate it being this year. Friends in the Caribbean want us to go to them this winter but we think that's unlikely, mainly for same reason as Misc.
By A4 Pacific
Personally I’m not planning to inflict commercial air travel on myself or the boss for a year or so yet!

It’s likely to be a miserable experience for some time to come. It’s not even as though once you reach your destination the virus has disappeared there. What if HMG puts your holiday destination on the red list whilst you’re away? :roll: I pretty much guarantee UK travellers WILL be caught out somewhere this year! I predict much wailing and howling!

Best of luck to you, but take it on the chin if it all goes pear shaped. It’s not like disrupted travel plans is unpredictable in the current climate. Which is precisely why I could foresee insurance implications for those hoping to cover their decisions.
By Paul_Sengupta
I plan to take some time off in the summer and do a bit more exploring of my local area in Wales. Things maybe I've put off my whole life. Or maybe have friends to visit and take them to see places around here. Also got new neighbours from Portsmouth and Bristol and they're completely new to the area so got plans to show them around as well.
AndyR liked this
By eltonioni
Miscellaneous wrote:Same for me, no great desire to have the hassle of getting on an aluminium tube to spend however many claustrophobic hours at 30 plus thousand feet to get anywhere. My enthusiasm prior to covid was pretty low, post covid I don't know you could pay me enough to put up with the inconvenience. :D

I do feel pretty much the same although if flights are as empty as the above replies suggest it might be quite nice. The transatlantic experience in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 was quite relaxing. Having a whole B747 for 42 PAX meant we had attendants on tap as well as a row for looking out the window, a row for meals, a row each for sleeping and a row to row about who gets which row. :D

Have to say I am a bit surprised at the lack of enthusiasm, it sounds like you've all had the stuffing knocked out of you.

@johnm ah, you might have been everywhere, but have you done everything? Dublin is (paperwork willing) to use /collect my shiny new Irish EU passport, Mallora is to relax on the same fantastic little palace roof we do for my birthday every year, and the Azores is for an ultra trail race in the forests. It's all about experience these days, not passport stamps. Get yourself booked onto something. :thumright:
By Miscellaneous
@eltonioni it's not just about the flight. I have little desire to visit other covid ridden destinations. TBH I may well be influenced by living in an area people spend fortunes on visiting as tourists. Now that may well be a reason for leaving. Meanwhile I'll settle for the couple of relaxing nights we have booked in a hotel in Pitlochry this coming weekend. :thumright:
eltonioni liked this
By akg1486
In 2021, the summer flying adventure will be either another circumnavigation of Sweden or, if it's allowed, probably a trip down to southeastern Germany and the Austrian border. LOLS Scharding-Suben looks like a particularly nice place: great reviews in Skydemon and at eddh.de.

What I'm really missing right now is the possibility to fly with other pilots. It's allowed, but I limit myself to flying solo until I get my shot and/or the general spread of the virus is at a low level.
By nallen
I'll be driving to Italy, assuming transcontinental motoring is feasible, at some point in the summer.
By A4 Pacific
Have to say I am a bit surprised at the lack of enthusiasm, it sounds like you've all had the stuffing knocked out of you.

Not in the slightest. In fact, entirely the opposite, thanks.

The lockdown merely provided an opportunity for everyone to reset their lives. CTRL-ALT-DEL.

For me personally it’s made me appreciate the value of the experiences on my very own doorstep. Things I was overlooking in my haste to join the throngs of punters rushing to shopping centres (cunningly described as ‘airports’) to then be corralled and penned with the other sheep. Queue. Queue. Queue! Now it will be overshadowed by the knowledge that many of the destinations are so desperate to relieve me of my wonga, the money men/women will do pretty much anything to kick start their earnings with little regard to the health of individuals or nations.

I haven’t been brainwashed into thinking my entire reason for being is to board a jet. But many have!
By Bill McCarthy
I hear that many touristy hotspots have realised how tranquil life has become since the lockdowns, with no mobile homes, caravans etc causing chaos all around. I ventured off the farm yesterday and it’s started !