For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
eltonioni wrote:Ok, it's a risk / punt but where are we all planning to go in the foreseeable future?

We have Dublin in June, Mallorca in October and the Azores in November.

Portugal looks enticing too but can't really work out when looks possible.

Madeira in August booked but in the balance: Flights transferred from last year's cancellation. :wink:
eltonioni wrote:Have to say I am a bit surprised at the lack of enthusiasm, it sounds like you've all had the stuffing knocked out of you.

Mrs PtP and I are extremely keen to get on a flight to HK later this year. However, they won't currently take visitors from the UK, and even if that changes they also require visitors to hole up in a quarantine hotel for 21 days. At the moment, they are talking about making life easier for vaccinated individuals - subject to them having taken the Chinese vaccines.

Of course, there is no real substantive justification for the above. However, politics is still a major driving force behind travel restrictions. Until that changes, the airways are going to remain quiet.
By johnm
The usual invasion of the Cotswolds is under way. We’re waiting until Alderney opens up but we have a house booked in East Anglia for a week with the family.

I have no interest in long haul travel for the foreseeable future, there would be nothing but hassle and aggravation and we won’t be crossing the channel unless things stabilise in France and Switzerland for the skiing season.
By Propwash
PeteSpencer wrote:
Madeira in August booked but in the balance: Flights transferred from last year's cancellation. :wink:

We are in a similar position. We have a villa booked for our usual 3 weeks in the Canaries in November which was simply carried over from last year. We will make a final decision on whether or not we go at the end of August by when we should have a better idea of how things are looking. Last year was the first time we missed that break in over 25 years and it seemed like a long winter without it. It won't just be the Covid situation that we will consider, but also how many of the facilities like restaurants are open as normal; we know of at least a few at our destination that have folded as a result of the pandemic. :(

Glad we did South Africa and Australia last year when we did; it may be some time before we can do either again.

PW
By eltonioni
Charles Hunt wrote:... Sheffield this weekend!

Welcome to Yorkshire :)

Looking at today's news of India, and on the Continent, our trip to Mallorca in October might not be as certain as we'd hoped. Hopefully, they can get their act together without turning the continent into a massive cess-pit of rampant covid cases over the summer. The signs aren't great though. :(
By PeteSpencer
Interesting piece in DT says that many European countries (Italy, Germany, ,France-“ France isn’t run by scientists-(Macron)

are all opening up far too soon ahead of the science and Boris under great pressure to do the same .Even though we have 70% adult vaccination there is still the virus introduced from India in the last month that hasn’t reared its ugly head.

Yet.
By kanga
Spain's tourist industry hoping for EU-wide relaxation for travel within EU for the vaccinated (with EU-certified documentation thereof).

"The bloc also wants to include non-EU countries such as Norway, Iceland and Switzerland, with officials saying earlier this week that vaccinated travellers from the US may also be able to visit Europe this summer.

However, the European Commission has said that there have been "no contacts" with the UK over the issue."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56912667
By A4 Pacific
However, the European Commission has said that there have been "no contacts" with the UK over the issue."

Without Brits the Spanish (indeed much of Europe’s) tourist industry will be decimated!
By Paul_Sengupta
AndyR wrote:However, the UK tourism industry will have a boom year.

Obtaining accommodation for my three domestic trips has been ‘challenging’.

I was going to say they already are. A friend of mine was looking for hotels in the Newcastle area for October, and there's not a huge number available for less than £100 a night.