For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
My baby girl is rapidly approaching her 21st.

I'm not the greatest gift buyer at the best of times, so this one is being a bit more difficult.

Anyone got any suggestions for something memorable and worthy of such a milestone?
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
We pondered quite hard over this. We wanted something memorable, probably too expensive for her (then) budget, and which she might use a bit soon but appreciate more in later life. A bonus might be that it should keep its value so she could sell it later if she either hated it or needed the money :)

We finally opted for a fairly modern style, but delicate and beautifully crafted, necklace of gold with lots of small, well-matched, pearls. We found it in a small, independent, jeweller's.
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Picking up kanga's idea, and if time permits, you could also find a silversmith who would make something bespoke. (We used share office space with a silversmith who made exquisite things, from large to small: http://stellacampion.co.uk/)
kanga liked this
By leiafee
I had jewelry - but conveniently had and have a charm bracelet for which a 21 charm was a no brainer.

My favourite 21st gift was not from a parent though and was my still well used penknife.

So I suggest spillting the difference and getting a gold plated Swiss Army Knife :lol:
kanga, Rob P, db and 2 others liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
I asked for, and got, some prescription Serengeti Gradient Drivers sunglasses for my 21st. The optician had to order them from the US. My prescription hasn't changed that much in the intervening years and I'm still using them! They're fantastic for flying or driving.
nallen wrote:Picking up kanga's idea, and if time permits, you could also find a silversmith who would make something bespoke.

Etsy is a good website populated by direct selling, craft jewellery makers of all descriptions

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
An elegant wrist watch is both functional and decorative and you can find them in any price range. A good watch from a well-known maker also retains its value (if that's a concern). Anything personalized--jewelry, watches, etc.--drops substantially in value.

The alternative to a "thing" is of course an experience of some sort that she otherwise wouldn't have treated herself to. (21 flying lessons, for example :D ) Very often such experiences would involve travel or at the very least gathering with other people, and that sort of makes the options more restricted in this particular year.

From reading old books, I take it that the traditional present at 21 was a key to the front door. But perhaps you've already given her that. :lol:
If the budget will run then I second the wristwatch idea. Fine ladies watches are very undervalued compared to gents and can often be picked up for reasonable prices. Or maybe a traditional string of pearls? These things last forever and never go out of style.
By PeteSpencer
Sooty25 wrote:My baby girl is rapidly approaching her 21st.

I'm not the greatest gift buyer at the best of times, so this one is being a bit more difficult.

Anyone got any suggestions for something memorable and worthy of such a milestone?

Impossible to answer without knowing your budget. :wink: