For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By HedgeSparrow
Inspired by the 'Your cat(s)' topic, I wondered, given the primary nature of this forum, if people would care to share thoughts and pictires of their avian companions.

Our canary is called Quark - a physics joke based on his characteristics as a young bird: charm, colour, and a quantum effect of seeming able to go from one part of his cage to another without appearing to be any intermediate position. We were able to allow him to fly free in the living room but it took a while to train him to voluntarily return to the cage; amusingly he ended up making sure we'd seen him go back in so that he'd earn his treat. He showed no inclination to be hand tame. Now he's getting old with poor vision and scruffy plumage, but he's still got character.

Last edited by HedgeSparrow on Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dodo, eltonioni liked this
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Strictly speaking not 'mine', just a regular visitor that hovers overhead waiting for scraps from the abattoir next door
By Awful Charlie
Not mine, but fellow Mooney driver Mike has parrots which accompany home all over the place, for example
By Sir Morley Steven
Not birds but bees! We have a small field by the side of our house and a local beekeeper put a hive in today. Not much action but I expect they are still groggy from the trip.
Payment is in honey!
By akg1486
simon32 wrote:https://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/seine-et-marne-l-avion-de-tourisme-accidente-a-percute-un-oiseau-20210421?fbclid=IwAR2lBzNkAKExn70QwvvN3ZhrE99QIyR-02M7uTqSfsV0OfiBUsGeMXUXPTc
They think it was a cormorant.
Simon

A PA-28 in our club hit a bird about a year ago: it hit the right wing just at the fuel tank. From what (very little) the person in the RHS could see, and from the damage, they think it was a bird of prey of the smaller variety. In terms of mass, that's probably around the same as a cormorant. The aircraft could still fly without any problem, but they obviously landed asap. The tank had a really big dent in it.

Luckily, all the damage was on the actual fuel tank, so that was all that had to be replaced. It took a number of weeks to find a tank, though. They found one in southern Norway and were given special Covid permission to fly there in another aircraft and pick it up.

Sorry for the thread drift.
By Irv Lee
This was Clarice, whom we found in quite a bad way late last year, with an injured leg. By protecting her for feeds every day for weeks over winter (rather than be bullied off food), she is not only fighting fit and confident, with the new breeding colours, it appears she was never Clarice, but he is now Clarence (and has a friend). He now controls us, and although only seems to use us for daily top-up treat food now, he lands one-legged on the balcony rail and has a definite sequence of whistles for us to supply his favourite food, dried worms. He fights others off, except for his friend, of course.
OCB liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Caption - “I’m sitting on something a lot of farmers like”
“Ah, FFS, get off me Yorkie bar”!