For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It’s the diesel. If you look carefully you can see she’s pressing the pre-heat button with her left big toe.
Pete L, Kittyhawk liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Things are looking up - the golden plovers are passing through in huge numbers. Saw just a single Housemartin yesterday.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Are the puffins nesting yet @Bill McCarthy ? I've visited the cliffs at Whaligeo, via the steps, many a time to watch puffins etc, and seen otters as a bonus. Can't get up there till later this year but always look forward to it.
By Bill McCarthy
Haven’t been out to Duncansbay Head yet, but things are moving now and for some reason, Jackdaws, for the first time ever, are trying to set up home in my barns. There’s twigs and cast sheep’s wool all over the place. I think it’s because one landed on an internal gate just three feet away from me and I didn’t scare him away - I just said “what are you doing in here”. They are much more clever than we think and he must have thought this bloke is quite friendly.
eltonioni liked this
By eltonioni
We have a flock(?) of jackdaws that I watch out of my study window and they are the brightest birds and very gregarious with it. They don't seem to worry about much, even the magpies and carrion crows keep a bit of distance from them. Our neighbour's chimney stack with a missing brick has been home to the gang for at least a couple of decades so I wonder how old some of them are. I imagine the chimney interior being fitted out with both a Jackdaw nursery for the bairns and old-birds home for elderly gentledaws.
By townleyc
Bill McCarthy wrote:Haven’t been out to Duncansbay Head yet, but things are moving now and for some reason, Jackdaws, for the first time ever, are trying to set up home in my barns. There’s twigs and cast sheep’s wool all over the place. I think it’s because one landed on an internal gate just three feet away from me and I didn’t scare him away - I just said “what are you doing in here”. They are much more clever than we think and he must have thought this bloke is quite friendly.

Clearly don't know you! :D :D

KE
By TopCat
Hardly ours, but we've seen this guy several times on our regular walk along a local river:

I've been taking a longer lens since this picture (it's cropped from a much larger frame, so it wouldn't enlarge well), but he's been hiding for a few weeks now.
By Miscellaneous
There's quite a lot of bird activity around here, no pics though. :(

On 2 occasions last week I found the beginnings of a fairly large nest on top of a wheel of the car after it only being parked overnight. I have no idea what is responsible. :?

There are 3 absolutely beautifully marked buzzards regularly frequenting the area and this morning it's the return of the gannets. Incredible watching them feed. It's true to say I have developed a greater appreciation for our feathered friends in recent years.