For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill McCarthy
The Buzzard is my mortal enemy I’m afraid (although they are beautiful birds) and the RSPB and SNH has a lot to answer for by giving them protection. I keep repeating - they have almost wiped out ground nesting birds here - the Lapwing and the Curlew especially. The chicks are easy prey and my neighbour has given up on keeping laying hens as the Buzzard has cleared out all 24 bar three. If I contact the RSPB and SNH and report these findings they simply dismiss my outrage and simply cannot see, or don’t want to see, the carnage.
By Bill McCarthy
No, they don’t harm the lambs but - if the crows don’t get the ground nest birds eggs the Buzzards pick up the chicks. The number of times I’ve watched in horror as they will take off with one in its beak with another in its claws.
Miscellaneous liked this
By Propwash
HedgeSparrow wrote:Found a robin building a nest on the cowl of one of the aircraft in our hangar. The aircraft owner (unsurprisingly) didn't approve and evicted it before eggs were laid.

Our tame garden Robin has built himself a nest in a small wood store on our patio (used to keep fuel for the chimenia handy). I am not sure what he will think when we use the gas BBQ which is right next to it, but he doesn't seem to let much phase him. I suspect when the eggs hatch we may have to cede that part of the patio to him for a bit. :roll: The things you do for mates. :wink:

PW
T6Harvard, akg1486, rogerb and 1 others liked this
By akg1486
Not mine, but my parents'. They need to replenish their stock or chicken now and again since foxes and predatory birds take one now and again. These hatched this morning.

T6Harvard, HedgeSparrow liked this
By Miscellaneous
As much as the appearance of birds influences one's fondness/connection their behaviour, at least for me, is equally important. Whether it is the bird song, or how they fly. Saturday past whilst on duty in the carpark at the local vaccination session I was reminded of this as I was lost in my own world as I watched a sea eagle soaring. I think my distraction and the distraction of the 'patients' wondering what I was watching had the docs twiddling their thumbs for a while. :oops:

It happened today again when I abandoned putting the roof rack on to watch and marvel at the perfectly 'designed' gannets. This was several hours ago, they continue to entertain as I type. Simply fantastic to watch. :D

If only I knew what I was doing with a camera. :lol:

mick w, T6Harvard, rogerb and 2 others liked this
By Trent772
Got home from flying yesterday to find the current Mrs Trent has found and is caring for Speckled Jim.....

A nearly fledged flying rat... sorry, pigeon was looking rather sorry for itself, but by this lunchtime after a bit of syringe feeding, it is sat on its perch and looking OK.

Could have sworn it would have been Kite fodder by this morning :pirat:

Standby for further updates.
By Bill McCarthy
A much reduced arrival of Swallows thus far for this time of year. Hoping to see more soon.
By HedgeSparrow
Trent772 wrote:...Speckled Jim.....

A nearly fledged flying rat... sorry, pigeon...
Could have sworn it would have been Kite fodder by this morning :pirat:
Standby for further updates.

This time last year I rescued a pigeon from a cat attack in the garden (not our cat - we don't house one). To my surprise the bird was still alive though had an injured wing. Kept it for a few days in a box with some food and water and to our surprise it survived. Its wounds were scabbing over and the wing was showing strength again, so we took it to a local field where other pigeons gathered and placed it on the ground near cover. Last I saw it was walking away into cover.

I doubt it survived but at least it had a second chance. Pity they all look the same; it'd be nice to think it had found its way back to our garden.
By Bill McCarthy
Golden Plovers still passing through. Wild duck arrived this morning at about 04.00 to set up home for the season in the wetlands on my common grazings.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Lovely Golden plovers. I first saw them on Outer Hebs - heard the plaintive call and saw the beautiful plumage.

Do you have Red throated or other divers, Bill? Now that is a haunting call. Heard them up at a lochan near a wind farm on Orkney and more recently, the Loon on a remote lake in Canada.

See this for some good film
Last edited by T6Harvard on Sun May 09, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanga, ArthurG liked this
By Trent772
Speckled Jim went to the local wildlife rescue place yesterday.

Good luck SJ and if you home back to ours and carp on my truck, Delia has plenty of options ready... :pirat:
By Bill McCarthy
The Great Northern and Red Throated Divers should be here by now although I don’t usually hear about them unless I contact a local “twitcher”. The Golden Plover makes a different call whilst in flight - some landed on one of my ploughed fields (waiting for warmer weather for a grass reseed) yesterday. Redwings will be around soon. I have left another 7acres of land in a wild state just in case the Corncrake comes back. Oystercatchers are sitting on eggs now.
T6Harvard liked this