For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
One of the more amusing consequences of a stretched global supply chain:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/apr/16/garden-gnomes-running-out-in-uk-as-garden-centres-business-booms

I must admit I've never seen the point of garden ornaments and put them in the same list as mimes as ripe for prompt action post revolution.
Morten, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By akg1486
If I had a garden (I don't) I don't think I'd have a garden gnome in it. But I can at least understand the appeal to some people. What I can't understand, though, is why people have lawn jockeys:

(When searching for an image to exemplify, I had to disregard most of the ones I found since they were unbelievably racist.)

I don't understand these monstrosities either. Incredibly I found the picture below on a site called "Ideal Homes UK". :D

By Pete L
I was thinking stone nymphs strategically clad with ivy are possibly acceptable. But maybe it's a bit Vauxhall Gardens.
By Iceman
As kids, our parents allocated us each a portion of the garden that was ours to look after. I had a pond in my bit with a gnome holding a lantern. If I had a gnome in my back garden (read jungle) now, he’d have to be a bit of a survival expert as he wouldn’t be seen from one year to the next :lol:.

Iceman 8)
By Morten
The seller deemed it necessary to censor the photos :roll: ... But clearly didn’t think the better approach would be not to sell them to begin with...
By PeteSpencer
We have a very tasteful statue of Hebe, goddess of eternal youth and daughter of Zeus and Hera who for thirty years stood on the edge of our koi pond pouring endlessly from her pitcher into the water .

Since we downsized and lost the pond she does look a bit forlorn, her pitcher dried up, nestling amongst the border flowers...,,.

I’ll have to get a chubby-ar sed gnome to keep her company . :wink:
By Jim Jones
My late mother had a tasteful stone-coloured gnome. A friend offered to brighten it up. The red, blue and yellow creation now delights her great grandchildren as it nestles in our shrubbery . “There’s Nana’s gnome!”
By kanga
ISTR from a few years back when gnome makers in Germany (apparently Europe's, and maybe the world's, largest market) complained that they were being undercut on price by 'inferior' Polish-made ones :?

[I wonder how many Chinese-made ones are currently stuck in containers on a certain vessel detained in the Great Bitter Lake :wink: ]