For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Colonel Panic
Not sure if this is a GDPR thing or not, but who defines what is & what isn't "legitimate interest" WRT cookies? Seems very one sided to me, and open to abuse by the likes of FaceBook, V Putin and others ...
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There are sites that make it easy to opt out, and there are sites that require you to start going through the equivilent of a French tax return... guess which ones get looked at and which ones dont...
Colonel Panic, T67M, Flyingfemme and 2 others liked this
By rikur_
skydriller wrote:There are sites that make it easy to opt out, and there are sites that require you to start going through the equivilent of a French tax return... guess which ones get looked at and which ones dont...

But that's confusing consent with legitimate interest, which are two separate legal bases for processing personal data. For many sites there shouldn't need to be a cookie consent box, because the reason that cookies are being used is a legitimate interest, and you don't provide consent to a legitimate interest, as the processor has a right to do it.

Also the websites that state that consent in mandatory to certain cookies. For consent to be meaningful it has to be optional, so if they are mandatory, you can't rely upon consent as a legal basis - you have to demonstrate you need them for a legitimate interest.

Surely one Brexit bonus could be to ban cookie pop-ups. They're ruin online experience.
By johnm
Surely one Brexit bonus could be to ban cookie pop-ups. They're ruin online experience.

Nothing to do with Brexit, like some other EU regulations GDPR sets minimum standards and leaves the door open for individual states to interpret it or extend it if they see fit. That's why UK gold plating has been such a an issue.
Flyin'Dutch', kanga liked this
By Colonel Panic
Surely it is only mandatory if you want to continue on with the site; you always have the option to vote with your mouse?

I fail to see why the ICO regard "direct marketing" as legitimate - if one goes in to a retail shop to browse the offer, you are not expected to give your email address nor details of your computer etc etc. Nor would it be legitimate to be asked.

@johnm JAAMOI, in what ways has the UK gold plated GDPR?
By johnm
I'm not up to date but these were some of the issues in the early days on the risks of gold plating but I wasn't specifically referring to GDPR gold plating, just the fact that some EU regulations including GDPR leave that door open.
By Douglas3375
Colonel Panic wrote:Not sure if this is a GDPR thing or not, but who defines what is & what isn't "legitimate interest" WRT cookies? Seems very one sided to me, and open to abuse by the likes of FaceBook, V Putin and others ...

Good Evening Colonel Panic. I am a Frenchman and I (try) to fly my TL-2000 Sting Carbon S3. In France it is a nightmare to find a Sting owner because this UL is more an LSA than an UL with respect to the unbelievable French regulations (MTOW, etc.). So I try to find someone with whom to discuss. Actually I have some problems with the fuel flow when I push the power between 5600 and 5800 cycles per minute. I don’t feel comfortable when taking off and I would like to know if a TL-2000 pilot already had this problem.
So Colonel Panic, I’m in panic and you would be ma definitely star if you could help me.
All the best,
Damien (from Arcachon West of Bordeaux)
By rikur_
Colonel Panic wrote:Surely it is only mandatory if you want to continue on with the site; you always have the option to vote with your mouse?

It's a bit more nuanced than that. Yes you can vote with your feet, but in which case the consent is meaningless. I'll refer you to another ICO lesson :-)
https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/gu ... g/consent/

But in summary, consent cannot be a condition of service, and has to be capable of being withdrawn. So a website that says 'you must consent to mandatory cookies to use our website' hasn't understood DPA/GDPR.
Colonel Panic liked this
By johnm
"Essential " and "mandatory" are interesting ideas when it comes to cookies :-)
By rf3flyer
Totally agree the irritation that are of the seemingly mandatory cookies acceptance variety.
I usually avoid these sites but if there are some that I do want to read I make use of this directly afterwards:-

Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By riverrock
There is almost always now an accept all option and another option which allows you to pick and choose. On the pick and choose page, optional ones ( advertising trackers generally) won't be selected by default, so just hit save.

If you're on a site you want less tracking on, use incognito mode, and ensure your incognito mode browser window is fully closed after you leave the site ( don't continue in another tab).
By Flyin'Dutch'
Colonel Panic wrote:Not sure if this is a GDPR thing or not, but who defines what is & what isn't "legitimate interest" WRT cookies? Seems very one sided to me, and open to abuse by the likes of FaceBook, V Putin and others ...

Mon Colonel,

I read the following with pleasure, @RobP look away now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56831241