For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
I applaud the move away from the mag-safe connector, the connector itself wasn't to bad but the design which required the replacement of the whole charger for a duff cable was naff beyond believe.

Just get one of these
Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I applaud the move away from the mag-safe connector, the connector itself wasn't to bad but the design which required the replacement of the whole charger for a duff cable was naff beyond believe.

Perversely, it was probably the making of SuGru - a wonder material if ever there was one, and I only discovered it when trying to fix an Apple laptop cable.
By Colonel Panic
Removed the rear panel, and the battery "looks" fine - no expanded bits that I can see. It is a 2015 machine, so whilst slow it pains me to destroy it as it is in pristine condition. A new battery from iFixit is ~£160, an Apple a repair is £199, but they sell for almost £400 on eBay. Without being able to wipe the SSD I can't sell it as is. Bother & Humbug.
By stevelup
Have you tried an SMC reset?

Press and hold Shift+Ctrl+Option(alt). Keep them pressed and now add the power button as well. Keep all four buttons pressed for at least ten seconds.

Release all the buttons, then press and hold the power button.
By Colonel Panic
Yes, I did try that, but with no luck.

Am I right to think that a laptop will only pull the power it needs, so using a higher rated USB-C brick won't cause any damage? Or perhaps it can if the battery is giving up?
By stevelup
Any USB-C charger should be fine. But really I'd want to be using a genuine Apple one unless you know it's a device that has previously worked fine.

I'm not convinced this is anything to do with the battery.

If you fancy a trip to me one day, you could bring it over and I'll have a poke at it. You can take the Polestar for a spin.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Colonel Panic
I have only ever used genuine Apple power bricks (& leads). The last time I used it was in December, after which IIRC I never turned it off, so would have been sleeping > hibernating > dying in a drawer. I tried to use it a couple of weeks ago - but it wouldn't stay on for more than a few minutes. Now it doesn't do anything.

Would love to see the Polestar & (as you PROB99 already realise :oops: ) I can be free most days. I saw one for real only yesterday and have to say it looked very nice indeed as it sped past me in the opposite direction - much more "road presence" than I was expecting. (NB: Can you get them in any colour other than white?)

Some total rhinoceros reversed in to me the other day (I was stationary) & scuffed the nose of my Model 3, so it will have to be fixed (he accepted full liability, supported by my Dashcam footage) & I am awaiting a collection date...
By stevelup
Can't promise I'll fix it but we should at least be able to properly diagnose it.

Any time you like is fine - you know where I am. Currently working 0830-1430 - just let me know the day before!

Colours are:-

Snow = White
Magnesium = Dirty White
Thunder = Grey
Midnight = Really dark blue
Void = Black

So kind of 50 shades of grey....
Colonel Panic liked this