For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
@Flyin'Dutch'

When I first went buzzcut care of the nice lady at Mr Harry in Droitwich I just asked for #2 (6mm) all over. This starts to get a bit unkempt around week 4 and definitely needs redoing at week 6

With the trusty Remington I use #3 (9mm) all over and do the sides and neck with a #2 or even #1 (3mm). Takes all of ten minutes, maximum, so I can refresh it every two weeks or less.

The sides and back are easier than you'd think. I don't even resort to a mirror.

Largest guard supplied is 15mm

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Can I borrow it, along with a #8 - my Cairn Terrier is getting a bit scruffy and needs it’s summer shearing !
Rob P liked this
By Grelly
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I also do my own once a week with a WAHL trimmer.

Beard is done with No.1 setting.
Head is done with No.3 setting.

If I miss a bit one week, I almost certainly get it the next.

Simples.

I suspect I have saved enough to buy a house over the last 30+ years. [ Ok, maybe a car ]
Flyin'Dutch', Rob P liked this
By Spooky
I go through phases. I used to go every 8 weeks but then became fed up of having hair so shaved it off. During the Covid panic I just let it grow and it was down to my shoulders after 12 months, with my beard reaching 10cm! However with having to wear a mask, I started to look a bit like an 80s glamour photo with the fuzz poking out the mask so decided to go for a full shave again.

Currently looking like a cue ball again but regret it now we’re experiencing unprecedented global warming *shiver*
By Paul_Sengupta
I think I started a Wahl craze on here just over a year ago. I've had mine for some years, but bought another one about a year ago as I needed one in Wales, and my original was in Guildford. The Wales one didn't come with a carrying case but only cost 20 quid. Other than the carrying case I can't tell the difference between the kits apart from a colour variation.

Depending on what mood I'm in, I use 6, 7 or 8. I used to use 5 on my dad as that looked the best on him, but then I accidentally used a number 5 on my hair when I took the nearest (wrong) attachment out of the box. Wasn't too bad. This past year I've mostly stuck with number 6 as I haven't had to go out of the house in winter to justify using a number 8...

Number 8 doesn't look like it's been clippered, it just looks like a normal haircut. You just run it all over, same length.

The kit comes with tapered over ear attachments so I use those over the ears, then I use a number 1 to do the bottom of the back of my head by guesswork. It should be done by the bare clippers, but that's not so good when you're doing it my guesswork, so I figured a number 1 wouldn't be too noticeable if it were a little unstraight.
Rob P liked this
By Flyingfemme
Indeed, Paul. I took your advice and got the one with the coloured attachments. I use the no8 on the back and sides - most acceptable. The top gets the scissors with a “ lift a lump and hack” technique. That way I get no lines or layers. DH gets a no5 and a similar hack on the front. Good kit.
By PeteSpencer
Boxkite wrote:
Do you begrudge paying £8 towards someone's (lately suffering) livelihood for a better result?
Paying £40 to avoid that is like flying further (which we enjoy anyway) to avoid a landing fee.

On the contrary: my barber is very happy to come to my place on his way home after dropping his kids off at school on his day off.:

I'm more than happy to pay him way over the odds for the convenience and the chat (Known him for over 20 years) :wink:

Gave my Wahl to my son..................
By AndyR
It's not the cost that drives me to cut my own hair; it's the wait to get it done! No (sensibly priced) barber around my way offers an appointment system, it all works on turn up, sit down and wait for those in front of you to have their hair done.

Sorry, my time is more valuable than that, I have better things to do with an hour. I can do mine in the time it takes to get to the barber and back, let alone the wait and the cut.

:)
Rob P, JAFO, Flyingfemme liked this
By townleyc
Mine only works with advanced bookings. Was £10.50 pre-covid, but went up to £16 ISTR. Known him for over 20 years

Booked for next Thursday. Normally go every 6 weeks.

I do my own beard - well trimmed, but not 5 o'clock shadow look

KE
By ROG
Join the army and get a free haircut.
Most barbers in the military seemed to be hairsadists. Limited to one style.
By Propwash
When I joined my old job as a very young man I, like most of the other recruits joining the same day, had a nice haircut the weekend before so looked all spruced up and smart. One of my fellows had been in the Grenadier Guards and while waiting for his joining date for training school after his demob had grown his hair almost shoulder length. The first thing that happened after we arrived was an enforced haircut by the school barber even though only the ex-guardsman needed one. He emerged looking very dapper, the rest of us like escaped convicts or US marines. I learnt something from that. :lol: (Actually I learnt rather a lot from him over the next 3 months, including how to properly bull boots. :wink: )

PW
kanga liked this
By MikeE
Propwash wrote:

(Actually I learnt rather a lot from him over the next 3 months, including how to properly bull boots. :wink: )

PW

Meths? That's what I used, but an ex-army colleague swore by floor polish until one day it rained on parade and his shoes turned a nice shade of bubbling green!

Regards

Mike