For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Foo Gee
I'm going round in circles and need some help - arguably medical but for now just from the forum.

For the last five years I have driven an old mark 1 TT Roadster with just shy of 150k on the clock. It still starts and runs well but it is getting a bit clunky here and there and so I am thinking of changing it and this is where I need some help.

My budget is up to £14k but probably more comfortable spending nearer £10k or less if I can. We have a brand new 'first' car so I have no need to waste more cash losing loads of money on another car if I can help it. I'm not bothered about the latest reg or whether it's fashionable or not but I do want to have something a bit more enjoyable than a 4 door saloon.

I have looked at CLK and E Class convertibles and SL350s as well as RS configured Audis. My worry with the latter two is that they will end up costing me loads repairing them as they're too complex and prone to age related wear.

I've even considered an old Daihatsu Fourtrak but that's going backwards in age and mileage so not really sensible.

What would the petrol heads of the forum choose given the above criteria?
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If it gives you a clue we bought a very nice 2007 3 litre SLK with just under 60,000 miles on it as Mrsjohnm's fun car. It cost £8500 because no-one wants big engined cars anymore. Downside is that road tax is £550 a year....

We found it trawling Google and it was a trade in at a Coventry BMW dealer.

I've found that used cars from main dealers are not a bad deal.
By Jim Jones
Service history service history service history. With all the bills, not just a fully stamped book. Watch out for imminent cambelt changes. Get hold of the service schedule and check it’s up to date.

With that, any interesting car will be ok. :thumleft:
johnm, avtur3 liked this
By Rob P
This was the year I was going to change Sandra's car. (Mk2 TT Roadster 2010.) She was doing a 70 mile daily commute and the car just crossed 100,000

Now that her job has gone I realised that the requirement has gone out of the window. The solidly built vehicle with a lot of non-rusting aluminium and a big lazy V6 makes a sensible keeper.

Alternatives we looked at as we were choosing were the SLK John mentions, the Boxster and the BMW Z4. My choice would have been the BMW, but she overruled me. There was one more car we looked at, but I don't think even now we are allowed to name it.

Assuming you want something similar I'd stick with a later model TT, but look at the others if you fancy a change. The Mk2 lost the stunning visual appeal of the original, but I'm told that it drives better.

Or if you really aren't needing the car for distance, a used Leaf is within budget which would be a huge money saver.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Foo Gee
Hi Rob, I've looked at the Mk2 as an option but just fancied a change. We've had a Z3 and SLK previously and enjoyed both and the Z4 is probably something I should look a bit closer at. Boxter might be worth a look but I think I'll be getting something just a wee bit too old and I want to have it for a couple of years.
Irrespective of what the handbook or seller says, I always change the cambelt as soon as I buy an old second hand car. Well, when I say I change it it actually means a mate gets lumbered with the task.
100k miles doesn't bother me, I've had loads of old bangers and at 100k it's really not so much of an issue.
I like the idea of a 4 seater convertible so we can take friends out but it isn't essential. As for the Maz... oops, almost, I had an MR2 a while back and my wife hated it. She wants something a bit more car-like rather than a piddly go-cart.
Leaf? Not sure where I see any fun in that?
By Rob P
Foo Gee wrote:Leaf? Not sure where I see any fun in that?

As I have mentioned far too frequently, when I was working on the Leaf roadshow my everyday driver was a 996. I never minded swopping from one to the other, though they were vastly different experiences.

Four seat convertible? The back seats with the roof down tend to be a very unpleasant place to be at anything over 10mph and in a heatwave. How much do you dislike these friends? :lol:

The straight six sold me on the Z4, it sounds lovely - I am definitely not a BMW aficionado.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
The road tax on my beloved 18 year old 3- litre V6 petrol Mercedes E class taxi is only £330pa
124k miles and still going strong.
Glass sliding/tilting sunroof gives me all the fresh air/direct sunlight I need. :lol:
By Rob P
Ah yes, but you haven't got "93 million miles of headroom" :lol:

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Paultheparaglider
Colonel Panic wrote:
My (über dirty diesel) 3 litre V6 Range Rover is less than half that.

Good to know I'm not the only one here who doesn't wash his car. :wink:

By the way, in contrast to some of the high mileages mentioned on this forum, my XC 60 is eleven this month, and current mileage is a little over 16,000. I've done more miles on my bicycle in that time.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:Ah yes, but you haven't got "93 million miles of headroom" :lol:

Rob P

Yes I have, and so has front seat pax.. :lol:
By johnm
My other car is an old Subaru Outback with 173000 miles on it and the same kind of roof that @PeteSpencer has :D
By Rob P
Spooky wrote:Subaru Impreza WRX STi :D

They just about squeak into budget. :D

It's a long time since I've driven any Subaru.

Rob P
Spooky liked this