For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' wrote: ... whether you will find one at that price point is a moot point.

Ten grand seems to get you an 80,000 miler, prob 2004-7

Rob P
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sold our 03 Plated 'S' for 6k to a forumite for 6k, mind you it had quite a few more miles on it.

Secondhand cars are stupendously expensive over here. Mind you far fewer people buy a new one. Probably a 1:1 relationship between the two observations.
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Should be cheaper over there surely. Most have the steering wheel on the wrong side.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Eh, no. We drive on the right side. The steering wheel is therefore on the other side.

Did you know.........that in Sweden, in the few years before they moved from the wrong side of the road to the right, they already had left hand drive cars?

Another snippet of useless information from way too many hours of YT videos.
Rob P, johnm liked this
By MattL
We would have normally changed my wife’s car this last year or so - it’s a 8 year old CMax which has been bulletproof and takes whatever kids and dog throw at it - but we just feel we will keep it until it dies now. Chatting to a few friends, quite a few people seem to feel differently about car spending after this last year - I do wonder if it will be a hard time for dealers? Or perhaps there is lots of pent up demand? Maybe lots of deals to be had though?
By Foo Gee
We were at a Volvo dealer yesterday looking for a new car (well, no new but about 1 year or so) and one of the reps said they have been busier in lockdown than in normal times. They've got loads of bookings for test drives in the book ready for opening.

He did say there is a shortage of nearly new stock because the corporate and rental market haven't been buying for the last 12 months so we might have a wait to find what we want.

A sprinkling of Boxters seem to be available within budget so I might end up being swayed towards that direction.

Re the Swedes moving to LHD a long time before they changed to driving on the right - don't I know it. I'm also looking for a Volvo Amazon. They fetch stupid money here so I thought I could pick up a cheaper RHD version over there and drive it back. Nope, they're all LHD. However, they are much better value so I still might buy one there anyway.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By skydriller
Foo Gee wrote:I'm also looking for a Volvo Amazon.

Ooooh....whitewall tyres!!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Jim Jones
People working through lockdown who normally used public transport went looking for used cars.
My interim vehicle was a 10 year old Ford Focus bought for £1500 just before lockdown . Out of curiosity I asked “we buy any car” what I was worth. First they said £995. 3 months later it was £1100, in October they offered £1250. I sold it in December for £1850 to a happy buyer.

It’s been a strange year..
By Rob P
Foo Gee wrote:We were at a Volvo dealer yesterday

It's OK. Nobody is judging you.

Rob P
By Spooky
Rob P wrote:
Spooky wrote:Subaru Impreza WRX STi :D

They just about squeak into budget. :D

It's a long time since I've driven any Subaru.

Rob P

Rarely see them on the road now :( Same with the R34 Skyline, Toyota Supra, Mazda RX-7, Mitsubishi EVO...

The 90s were certainly the best years of motoring and motorsport. Sometimes I feel sad knowing those days are gone as the ‘green’ agenda pushes forward. However I’m glad I was able to at least experience it and watch the likes Colin McRae and Sébastian Loeb work their magic behind the wheel 8)
By PeteSpencer
I can still remember my first ride in a mate’s Lotus Cortina........ :shock:
I’d never been airborne in a car before ......
johnm liked this