For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill McCarthy
Not like an aircraft, but HMS Dreadnought was the only submarine in the world that could achieve the phenomenon whilst on the surface - due to its unique shape.
The order was “bring the plant to the full power state, uncotter 3,4 and 5 main ballast tank vents”
Whilst winding on max revs for surface running, 10 degrees of rise were set on the foreplanes and aft planes, open aft main vents for ten seconds to dig the stern in.
At a certain speed, with the reactor at 100% the boat would rise up forward and settle stern down putting up a 12ft high wake - semi-submerged but still maintaining positive buoyancy.
Then, the magic happened - at 23knots the reactor power would reduce on its own and settle at 70%. Accordingly, it was deemed our most economical speed !
I’ll leave the experts to work out how it could happen.

Incidentally, it must be the only power driver that can operate at full chat and remain totally silent - if you could stand beside it. Access over the reactor compartment is via a shielded tunnel.
Charles Hunt, kanga, MikeE and 1 others liked this
By rf3flyer
Interesting, Bill, but I wonder if you have not just broken the Official Secrets Act by writing that...just as I may have by reading it.
By Bill McCarthy
I think we’re safe enough now ! I wonder if I’ll make it to the launch of the new “donut”.
By Rjk983
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Bill McCarthy @rf3flyer

It’s okay chaps, you are safe from a stay in the tower.

It’s public knowledge, a similar anecdote in “The Silent Deep” by Peter Hennessy and James Jinks. P193 in the hard back edition.

Mind you, it only says 20 knots in there so maybe you have just given away the game to Ivan... :lol:
By Bill McCarthy
The old Dreadnought is no more - laid up in Rosyth dockyard until they work out how to dispose of it and all the other decommissioned boats. Oh, and it was 33knots dived and still the fastest nuc boat we had. It propulsion plant design still surpasses anything we’ve put out since.
By chevvron
Back in 1983, I was on a cruise round the Rock of Gibraltar on a private boat, about a 35 footer I would guess.
A Nuke (can't remember the name although some of the crew were staying in our hotel and we chatted to them) was outside the harbour walls attended by a couple of fleet tenders (had a ride on one of those the previous year when on Summer Camp with the cadets) one of which moved across our bows when we looked like getting too close to the sub.
As we turned towards Europa Point, a plume of spray appeared from the sub's stern - possibly venting a ballast tank (?)- then the sub began to move, a huge 'boiling' wake appeared and it was instantly doing about 25-30kt. Our skipper remarked 'I'm glad he let us get out of the way before he did that'.
We watched the sub until suddenly it disappeared from view below the surface.
A year later in The Gambia, one of the other guys on holiday in our singles tour group (worked for MOD in a civilian role) told me he was on board that sub and they'd stayed submerged until they reached the Falklands.
Yes I've signed the Official Secrets Act several times for reasons I still can't talk about (mainly Royal Observer Corps but other things too)
By Bill McCarthy
Maximum surface speed on British boats is about 16knots - they had tried to achieve the Dreadnought speed but couldn’t. Dreadnought “retired” in 1980ish.
When leaving Gib’ our boats normally do a trimming dive off Europa Point.
Officers accommodated in “The Rock” hotel, crew in other seedy places. The “Caleta Palace” on the Med side was reasonable but inconvenient due to its location.
By chevvron
Bill McCarthy wrote:Maximum surface speed on British boats is about 16knots - they had tried to achieve the Dreadnought speed but couldn’t. Dreadnought “retired” in 1980ish.
When leaving Gib’ our boats normally do a trimming dive off Europa Point.
Officers accommodated in “The Rock” hotel, crew in other seedy places. The “Caleta Palace” on the Med side was reasonable but inconvenient due to its location.

I was at the Cally Pally and they were CPOs.
By Bill McCarthy
Had they replaced the mini grand piano in the cocktail bar (third floor I think) - the First Lt (second in command) and others of the submarine Olympus was the “flight director” in launching it over the balcony on to the rocks below when the pianist repeatedly refused to stop playing plonkety plonk music . He survived the court marshal on return to Portsmouth. High spirits.
By eltonioni
What I read... ' our sub was an underwater gin palace with officers' piano bar on the upper deck'
What you actually said... 'we trashed the ashore hotel bar'

:oops:

Keep 'em coming Bill, loving these tales. 8)
kanga, Pete L liked this