For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Spooky
PeteSpencer wrote:The sort of stuff that the Taliban and AlQuaida think nothing of smashing to pieces.......,

Tearing down history that disagrees with their views isn’t unique to the Taliban unfortunately :?
By Spooky
Propwash wrote:I have always been fascinated by history of all sorts and especially ancient civilisations like Rome, Greece and Egypt. Today I have been reading about the discovery of a city built 3,400 years ago near Luxor during the reign of Pharaoh Amenhotep III. It looks from photographs to have been remarkably well preserved.

I vividly remember the feeling that I was walking with ghosts when my wife and I visited Pompeii a few years ago. I would love to see this city in person, but I wonder how long it will be until it opens to the public? To have lain undiscovered all this time, waiting to be brought back into the light, really is incredible.

I wonder what Indiana Jones would make of it? :lol:

PW

You’ll have to visit Thermopylae. It’s quite inspiring to be stood at the site where the actions of a small number of Greeks determined the world we live in today :D
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Agree about Thermopylae though it's 30 years :shock: since I was there with the children.

Herculaneum beats Pompeii into a cocked hat though.

Once things sort out I hope to go back to Luxor and I'm sure our friends will know someone.......
Spooky liked this
By kanga
Spooky wrote:.. the actions of a small number of Greeks determined the world we live in today :D

that's certainly the way contemporary Greeks and traditional philhellenes tell it :roll:

[just to make the point that 'retelling history' may not necessarily be 'wrong' if it was previously mistold :wink: .. which is one reason why new archaeology may often be informative as well as useful ]
By Spooky
kanga wrote:
Spooky wrote:.. the actions of a small number of Greeks determined the world we live in today :D

that's certainly the way contemporary Greeks and traditional philhellenes tell it :roll:

[just to make the point that 'retelling history' may not necessarily be 'wrong' if it was previously mistold :wink: .. which is one reason why new archaeology may often be informative as well as useful ]

Herodotus wasn’t a fan of Sparta yet still speaks highly of their actions which leads me to believe there’s some truth in the story. Although of course his stories were more than likely exaggerated to become entertaining such as we see with Hollywood.

However as you highlight, history is always changing as new evidence emerges. After all, history is written by the victors.