For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By simon32
Bien pensants like this Mayor after graduating in political science spend some years in NGOs honing their Saving-the-World credentials and are then readily absorbed by a Green party. It is thought they did well in local government elections last year due to low voter turnout and the feeling that the World needs saving.
Simon
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There was a sympathetic segment on BFM national news the other day about this and the irony is its a gliding club that encourages those from disadvantaged backgrounds, so not for "the rich", but also save the 10min aerotow, gliders dont use hydrocarbons to fly...

Regards, SD..
By akg1486
lobstaboy wrote:Irrespective of the aviation link or the desire to be greener, the idea of squashing childrens' dreams is abhorrent.

The idea of a politician to want to "protect children from their dreams" is so appalling that I can't find words. What other dreams should they be "protected" from? A good education? A fulfilling job? Love?
By Spooky
avtur3 wrote:Let's hope this isn't the thin end of some sort of green inspired wedge ... :shock:

There’s clearly a push for it off the back of the Covid panic. The view seems to be “If we can stop transport for a virus, we can stop it to save the planet”

Welcome to the “new normal” :lol:
By oldbiggincfi
avtur3 wrote:Let's hope this isn't the thin end of some sort of green inspired wedge ... :shock:

I'm afraid it is
Throw away the spade - here comes the shovel of Drones :cry:
By simon32
I was listening to a discussion between four political pundits who thought the Green wave was a flash in the pan and initiatives of Mayors like this are fast eroding sympathy. She had her sights on the model aircraft club as well. There was universal condemnation from the political class and the Secretary of State for transport, also a professional pilot qualified them as élucubrations autoritaires et moribondes. Another Mayor thought that Christmas trees should be banned.
Simon