For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By eltonioni
Pete L wrote:Home advantage - they know the bends.

They certainly went straight down the middle. Oxford’s cox is probably buying his own beer from now on.
By Bill McCarthy
How many warnings does it take to disqualify a team (or is there any disqualification rule ) - the Oxford women’s cox was warned about twenty times, I reckon, for encroachment into the Cambridge line ?
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill McCarthy wrote:How many warnings does it take to disqualify a team (or is there any disqualification rule ) - the Oxford women’s cox was warned about twenty times, I reckon, for encroachment into the Cambridge line ?

Usually up to the umpire’s discretion .

Even if blades contact, no disqualification considered unless an oar is thrown off stroke and then race can be stopped and restarted or the race can be awarded to the injured party .

Of course in the Univ Camb Lent and May Races ( the ‘Bumps’ ) the whole point is to hit the boat in front at which point both boats pull over and swap places for the following day ( 4 day event -the river Cam is too narrow to overtake except the last 3/4 mile of Long Reach). :wink:
kanga liked this
By Cessna571
Bill McCarthy wrote:How many warnings does it take to disqualify a team (or is there any disqualification rule ) - the Oxford women’s cox was warned about twenty times, I reckon, for encroachment into the Cambridge line ?

and then it reversed for the men’s!

The different ways the umpire was saying “Cambridge” was almost comical at one point.

At one point I was saying Oxford would do best just to clash, as Cambridge would be disqualified surely for forcing them into the reeds.

Was very exciting races for a straight bit of river!
By Sir Morley Steven
PeteSpencer wrote:Cambridge x 2 !

The underdogs win

‘Nuff said :wink:

Haven’t they won the last three or four times? And with it being “at home” this year it was hardly a surprise.
By akg1486
A Cambridge team (Magdalene College) lost yesterday's final in University Challenge. Not to an Oxford college, though: the winners came from Warwick. But both teams in the final were impressive!
kanga liked this
By kanga
akg1486 wrote:A Cambridge team (Magdalene College) lost yesterday's final in University Challenge. Not to an Oxford college, though: the winners came from Warwick. But both teams in the final were impressive!

.. and Paxman kept up into the final his tradition of mangling the pronunciation of some foreign or scientific words to the likely disadvantage of contestants who would have instantly known the answer if the question had been properly pronounced :evil:

Back to OP: I used to cox a (fairly hopeless) College First (and only) Boat at Cambridge. Bumps on the Cam were fun. By some serendipity (eg better boat behind us was bumped by an even better one; coxing error by one ahead meant we got the occasional bump), we mostly held our own. :)
By Sir Morley Steven
Years ago I was walking across Eton bridge when an eight man crew, coxed by my mate Lisa, went underneath.
My cry of “Hey boys, I want to kiss your cox” went down surprisingly well.
Rob P, Flyin'Dutch', smokescreen and 2 others liked this