For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
#1838706
johnm wrote:Part of the issue is the growth in opportunity for litter and the persistence of the materials. Much of what we see lying around didn't even exist 60 years ago....

True: fast food and the like has a lot to answer for. Happily things like styrofoam, which doesn't decompose, is less prevalent and even illegal in many countries. And the rusty beer cans found all over the place in my youth have been replaced by aluminium cans with (and least where I live) deposits: they get picked up by somebody even if thrown away.

I read in the local newspaper a few years ago than the majority of trash picked up from the streets (as opposed to discarded in public bins) in my town was cigarette butts. I don't need to consult data from the 70s to be fairly certain that this particular type of trash has to have gone down significantly since then for the simple reason that so much fewer people smoke. When I was a kid in the early 70s we were also always warned not to step in dog ****. Despite not all dog owners being responsible, that's almost become a non-issue in our parks and on our pavements.
johnm liked this
#1838757
akg1486 wrote:
. When I was a kid in the early 70s we were also always warned not to step in dog ****. Despite not all dog owners being responsible, that's almost become a non-issue in our parks and on our pavements.



I almost wish that aspect of litter had continued. I cannot understand how a dog owner who picks up and bags their pooches poo, then decides to hang it as a decoration on a nearby bush, or place it neatly on my garden wall.
They don’t decay, they liquify and are semi permanent. At least the old fashioned, carp will not be there weeks later. :x
JAFO, Cessna571 liked this
#1838771
My tuppence worth:

I have worked at two 6th Form Colleges and they have both been quite messy students. In one a group of students told me "why put the rubbish in the bin, we have cleaners, we keep them in a job". So they just dumped their rubbish on the floor or left it on the table for the cleaners to take care of. I was often asked to check the CCTV to find who had made a mess in the canteen and as punishment they sometimes closed the canteen area to all students.

With the CCTV I've found students setting off fire extinguishers, throwing wet paper towels at the cameras to cover them up and making a mess of the toilets (how do they not realise the camera is still recording them?), setting fire to the towel dispenser in the toilets and even a student urinating on the playing field in sight of a main road!

My current workplace also have students that leave their rubbish behind computers or on the floor and get quite annoyed when told off about it, as if it's their right to make whatever mess they want!

Rant over :)

Ashley
By johnm
#1838777
How the heck do they get as far as a sixth form college without being trained to tidy up after themselves? How are children that stupid and ignorant going to pass an A level exam?
#1838783
Jim Jones wrote:
akg1486 wrote:
. When I was a kid in the early 70s we were also always warned not to step in dog ****. Despite not all dog owners being responsible, that's almost become a non-issue in our parks and on our pavements.



I almost wish that aspect of litter had continued. I cannot understand how a dog owner who picks up and bags their pooches poo, then decides to hang it as a decoration on a nearby bush, or place it neatly on my garden wall.
They don’t decay, they liquify and are semi permanent. At least the old fashioned, carp will not be there weeks later. :x


There’s a tree in a park in Ely that dog walkers seem to have enjoyed turning into a “poo tree”.

Has hundreds of those bags adorning it.

I resume they think it’s their right, they pay their council tax?

I don’t see why it doesn’t count as littering, but I can only presume it doesn’t.

Scary thing is that this is how the adults are teaching their children to act.

I’m so glad I don’t have children, I don’t have to worry about the **** place the world is turning into.
#1838786
johnm wrote:How the heck do they get as far as a sixth form college without being trained to tidy up after themselves? How are children that stupid and ignorant going to pass an A level exam?

I doubt you'd like the answer. :wink:
By johnm
#1838787
My daughter is a teacher at a secondary school and such behaviour is not tolerated, my grandson is 6 and grand daughter is 2 both already understand that they don’t leave litter thanks to a combination of parents, grandparents, school and nursery school.
#1838798
I’m very happy my grandchildren (age 6 and 8 ), readily put sweet wrappers, crisp packets etc in their pocket or ask that I put it in their rucksack without prompting. They think people who drop litter are “idiots”. The eldest is adept at dealing with dog poop when they take their mums elderly labrador for a walk. :thumleft:
johnm, kanga liked this