For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
From the BBC.

Students have said the mess they leave isn’t their fault.

There are not enough bins apparently, and no bins for their used sharps or used nitrous oxide canisters.

They need bins installed for sharps, bins for nitrous oxide canisters and many more bins for their rubbish.

Before you ask, NO they cannot take it home, their parents pay taxes you know.

Who drags these kids up? Why do their parents think this is ok?

Would you?

JAFO, Rob P liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's beyond disgraceful, I've said elsewhere that fly tipping and litter dropping is probably the only current justification for the return of the death penalty, on the basis that the perpetrators are just a worthless waste of oxygen :twisted:
lobstaboy, seanxair, Flyingfemme and 1 others liked this
johnm wrote:It's beyond disgraceful, I've said elsewhere that fly tipping and litter dropping is probably the only current justification for the return of the death penalty, on the basis that the perpetrators are just a worthless waste of oxygen :twisted:

That is a bit extreme, if you ask me.

I'd rather turn them into a worthwhile use of oxygen by requiring them to serve 12 months in chain gangs doing roadside litter picks. Start at dawn and end at dusk.

Of course, the death penalty would be perfectly reasonable for a second offence. :wink:
johnm, seanxair, Keveng and 2 others liked this
By Irv Lee
I am just about to wander out to go along the old walls at the mouth of Portsmouth harbour. Not sure if the shingle beach below will be winter-clean or Summer-garbagetip, as it was very sunny all day but also cold. We'll see
By Irv Lee
johnm wrote:Somebody needs to give the little buggers a bin bag each :evil:

That would just mean that number of plastics bags left lying alongside the bottles, packets, etc or blowing away empty .
Pleased to report that my G&T in the sun was not spoiled by looking down at litter on the shingle, so it seems from one observation that litter here is binary and related to air temperature not sun. However it was right on high tide so maybe I got a false "reading". This would have been dreadful after a warm weekend day.
Rob P liked this
I knew what type of people we are talking about.

But I was surprised that the local students have started a petition blaming the council rather than the people dropping litter, sharps etc etc. Urinating on war memorials.

There’s specifically a girl on the BBC News site saying it’s the councils fault and something needs to be done.

The council are responsible for this.

I’m going to break out the “W” word.
By Genghis the Engineer
I'm not prepared to blame a single demographic.

The village I live in we have a healthy pickup plan of volunteers, but I know that the quarter mile of road I do I can fill up 1-2 bin bags a month.

The roads outside the village, are strewn.

I had to take a family member to something in Northampton a few months ago and whilst he did that went and sat in a local park - rubbish absolutely everywhere.

The whole country is covered in litter, save where enthusiastic locals are dealing with it.

That picture is just an extreme example. A significant proportion of the UK population seem to have become litterbugs due to Covid.

G
I can’t decide whether is ill-educated, thoughtless selfishness or a, partly subconscious, rebellious act by those who feel they are not part of mainstream society.

Fly tipping however is simply criminals making a quick buck.
By Genghis the Engineer
Rob L wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:......A significant proportion of the UK population seem to have become litterbugs due to Covid. (snip)

G

A significant proportion of the UK population have always been litterbugs.

Well, either the proportion has grown, or the proportion of people clearing up behind them has dropped.

G
By Rob L
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
Rob L wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:......A significant proportion of the UK population seem to have become litterbugs due to Covid. (snip)

G

A significant proportion of the UK population have always been litterbugs.

Well, either the proportion has grown, or the proportion of people clearing up behind them has dropped.

G

I help out on the local roads occasionally (coffee cups seem to be prevalent). When I said "always", I should have been more specific and said fly-tipping, which comes back to the local councils charging for dropping off waste. Covid has little to do with it, in my opinion.

Rob
By skydriller
Jim Jones wrote:Fly tipping however is simply criminals making a quick buck.

I strongly disagree with this. Im not saying there arent a few "professional flytipping cowboys" out there, but the main corrolation is council tip availability and if they start to charge entry or prevent van owners having access.

And perhaps not what folk want to hear, but providing public bins - and emptying them regularly - does impact the amount of litter in public places.

Regards, SD..
johnm liked this