For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Trade waste is, quite rightly, charged for by the council. To do otherwise would be to subsidise private profit from public funds ( enough of that happens anyway)

I had some improvement made to outdoor steps and approaches. Builder charged £800, materials £250, skip was £285. I could have said that I’ll deal with the old flags etc, paid a man with a van saying “No job too small” on his business card £100 to take it away....
Jim Jones wrote:Trade waste is, quite rightly, charged for by the council. To do otherwise would be to subsidise private profit from public funds ( enough of that happens anyway)

I had some improvement made to outdoor steps and approaches. Builder charged £800, materials £250, skip was £285. I could have said that I’ll deal with the old flags etc, paid a man with a van saying “No job too small” on his business card £100 to take it away....

Apart from the waste in your case, isn't trade waste, it is your private waste that happens to be being handled by a builder.
Sooty25 wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:Trade waste is, quite rightly, charged for by the council. To do otherwise would be to subsidise private profit from public funds ( enough of that happens anyway)

Apart from the waste in your case, isn't trade waste, it is your private waste that happens to be being handled by a builder.

Try taking a mini skip’s worth of waste to a council tip round here.
It also explains the frequent occurrence of catering sized cooking oil containers down a nearby country lane. I guess it’s better than pouring it down the drain.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
NigelC wrote:Well is it cheaper for the ratepayer to clear up the fly tipping or have a charging scheme which removes the business opportunity.
Or controversially provide a police service outside urban areas.

One of the many aspects to this problem is that "having a charging scheme which removes the business opportunity" can be a significant problem for many a housholder who genuinely wants to dispose of their own waste. Our local authority introduced charges for all manner of waste a couple of years ago, the move was met with such resentment that the charge was removed for all but tyre disposal, for once common sense prevailed. However now there is restrictions on vehicles sizes and types (permit system in place) and you have to show proof of address on every visit.

Tips in neighbouring areas have maintained that charges, as well as imposing vehicle restrictions, and introduced a pre book only system for visits and limit visits to one per household per week. Personally I think this is too restrictive and will lead to less responsible types resorting to their own means of disposal.

Oh. and there is another gotcha for the genuine housholder, faced with restrictions one might turn to a waste disposal company. That company my dishonestly represent themselves as a licensed waste carrier by producing false documentation. If that happens and the waste is fly tipped it is the house holder who is held to account for not using a licenced provider, despite there being no 'approved' way to check their credentials.

The approach to waste handling and disposal is far too fragmented, down to a level of very local differences which is simply wrong. We need a much more grown up and joined together approach to this nationwide problem. The approach needs to encourage people to use the system not be constantly put up barriers.

I am the family 'Mr Shifta' and as such visit the tip quite regularly, thankfully my local facility hasn't introduced ANPR and a one visit per week limit.
Jim Jones liked this
By johnm
During Covid our tip has an online booking system and one appointment per day per household is permitted. Typically it's necessary to book about a week ahead.

We've recently done some serious land clearing and produced a great deal of green waste we couldn't chip and shred on site. So I've had 4 trips to do all without drama and free, I just needed to do a little planning.
Sooty25 wrote:

Taking tongues out of cheek for a moment, not only is it trade waste, it’s Jim’s legal responsibility to make sure it’s disposed of legally by whoever he employs, on pain of standing before a magistrate on a criminal charge.
JAFO, Charliesixtysix liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
Jim Jones wrote:Prove it.
I don’t usually add old correspondence to my rubble.

All it needs is one receipt or addressed envelope.

Having cleared up a couple of instances of dumped rubbish around my village, there is often something.

G
Last edited by Genghis the Engineer on Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By johnm
Bill McCarthy wrote:Litter bins .......... prime dropping off points for terrorist bombs.

and might be again the way things are going across the Irish sea :(

However nothing provides an excuse for failing to take your litter home, if you could bring the package and its content, you can take the package, it's really not hard :twisted:
Rob P liked this
By PeteSpencer
After a busy evening on the pi ss lobbing Molotov cocktails at Old Bill the average oik will have his hands full and won’t want to drag a bin liner full of empty Stella cans around with him all evening . :roll:
johnm liked this
By skydriller
Jim Jones wrote:I don’t usually add old correspondence to my rubble.

I was under the impression that "rubble" is actually worth something.
By PeteSpencer
skydriller wrote:
Jim Jones wrote:I don’t usually add old correspondence to my rubble.

I was under the impression that "rubble" is actually worth something.

Nah I’m just about to pick up 4 bags of rubble F o C for our windsock re mounting project . They can’t give it away. :wink: