For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I had occasion today to stop in at the M5 Gloucester Services (southbound) with the specific task of purchasing some local produce, since I'm originally from around those parts, and I usually stop there both north-and south-bound to support them.

No franchises, no Costa, Star$$$, KFC or McDonalds or the like. Just a local business providing top-quality products at not unreasonable prices.

Today was boar sausage rolls; pork pies [one with Stilton, one without], local tomatoes and a jar of local chutney all for £16.00 , which suited our meet-up of four of us (and yes, it was essential travel).

These particular services have people going to them specifically for their produce, so if passing, give them a go.

Rob

ps I think they also run the Tebay services on the M6 in the Lake District, but I've not visited those, so a "viewer report" would be welcome!
Last edited by Rob L on Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnm, MikeB, kanga liked this
Once going away on mini break got as far as Gordano services on M5, grabbed a coffee, went to change baby, baby came out in massive rash all over, drove home again. Didn’t quite agree with the ‘welcome break’ in big signs everywhere.
.. and, as has been mentioned by quite a few 'passing' visitors, the M5 services normally have JAM leaflets in their 'tourist information' rack :)
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
HedgeSparrow wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:A much more fun game is deciding which are the worst services you've ever visited.

I've been avoiding Fleet on the M3 for many years - anybody been recently? Is it worth using yet?

No, although it is still far better than Sutton Scotney to the South.

G
Last edited by Genghis the Engineer on Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By avtur3
I understand that 'Westmorland',the operators of Tebay and Gloucester services, are involved in a plan to build a service area on the M56 at J8, to be known as Tatton Services, it will be adjacent to what many will have previously known as Tatton Island roundabout.

The plan involves a partnership with an entity called the Tatton Group, it appears that this location could develop, like Tebay and Gloucester, to be a destination in its own right, it would certainly sit in the middle of a very lucrative catchment area. A detailed planning application is to submitted to the local authority any time now.
By johnm
The new generation of the family seem to have quite an entrepreneurial streak. Tebay started when a farm was cut in half by the M6 and the owners looked at alternative opportunities the motorway might bring. Tebay started in 1972 but Gloucester is is only about 7 years old.