For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By malcolmfrost
Anyone on this forum has already shared and had their data shared by this website. Remember, if it is free YOU are the product!
If you've downloaded and set up the NHS App, (not the NHS Covid 19 app) you will know the level of verification needed. I can now see my vaccination details on it. I am happier with a UK government App than many others out there.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:@PeteSpencer seems to me it's the grandkids civil liberties that are under threat. :shock:

Indeed, my children are very unhappy but not about Covid as such, my grandchildren are too young to care yet.
By skydriller
PeteSpencer wrote:If I’m going to need a vaccination certificate to take the grand kids into MacDonalds then so be it .

You may well be able to go to McDonnalds (if thats what floats your boat) because you have been vaccinated, but your Grand-kids certainly wont be able to... And possibly not your kids either for quite some time...
flybymike liked this
By Propwash
I suppose the good news is that so many people getting agitated about something which may or may not actually happen means that they don't have anything serious to worry about instead. :wink:

PW
JAFO liked this
By johnm
Remember, if it is free YOU are the product!

I don't mind Ian exploiting me :D

However a surprising number of sites will take nonsense as input if the format is valid and from me nonsense is what they get.
By GrahamB
skydriller wrote:You may well be able to go to McDonnalds (if thats what floats your boat) because you have been vaccinated, but your Grand-kids certainly wont be able to... And possibly not your kids either for quite some time...

Peter's children may well be able to in the right part of the country. We are now vaccinating the 40-49 year cohort in my part of Wales and have been for a week or thereabouts. Capacity is being racked up week by week - at the centre where I help out we are are now open six days a week, 8:15 - 21:00, and more vaccinators have been, and are continuing to be, trained.

It seems our biggest issue is not capacity, but the increasing number of non-attendees as we move down the age range. To an extent that is offset by a lot of manual effort in phoning around to chivvy people or offer others an earlier appointment, along with a healthy 'lastminute.com' reserves list of people from the next cohort down the priority range. Nevertheless, having a vaccinator standing idle for five minutes with syringes a-ready is very frustrating.
By johnm
So we come full circle, vaccine passports is a way of getting idiot young folk to turn up for a jab :roll:

Why does that not surprise me :roll:
By T67M
stevelup wrote:
T67M wrote:I have had the first jab, but I won't accept a "passport" for entry to pubs, shops and other public places to stand alongside a number of friends who can't have the coronavirus vaccine for medical reasons.

You -really- have multiple friends who can't have any of the vaccines? Or you're making something up to make a point?

Yes, two for whom it is almost certain death, and two who are likely to suffer significant and potentially long term harm.

stevelup wrote:
and I include religious beliefs into the "cannot" category.

No, sorry, they can sod right off and back again. What a load of tosh.

Thank you for accepting such a diverse society and for being so inclusive.
flybymike liked this
By johnm
The only contraindication I know of is previously known severe allergic reaction to the components in the vaccine.
JAFO liked this
By lobstaboy
T67M wrote:
stevelup wrote:
and I include religious beliefs into the "cannot" category.

Refusing to have a vaccine as your tiny contribution to the well-being of the society that you are part of because the flying spaghetti monster told you not to have it isn't very 'inclusive' either, is it?
These things work both ways.
Charles Hunt liked this
By kanga
lobstaboy wrote:
johnm wrote:I wish we didn't keep seeing simplistic scenarios to justify a position that is basically an act of faith or prejudice, not just on this topic either.
-(

Unfortunately that's exactly how politics works.

.. or rather, that's how the representation of UK politics work in some of the UK media. It is regarded as quite ordinary and reasonable in the US for a Senator or Representative to vote with a Motion or President of the opposing Party, sometimes on personal or local (State or District) considerations, or out of the acceptance that on this issue the opponents are actually right in the interests of the nation. Equally, a normal Majority or Presidential supporter may oppose the 'Party line' on some issues. This has been seen during the Nomination processes of the nominees of the new President:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56596839

[drifting a bit into domestic politcs, but in an acceptably nerdish and non-Partisan way, I hope. Mods please edit/excise if not :oops: ]

In UK, however, some of the media are very quick to denounce as 'weak' or 'ineffective' or even 'treasonous' a comparable decision by an Opposition politician at any echelon to support an incumbent Party's policies, when that support is given in the explicitly stated belief that the policy is in the national (or City, County, Region, ..) interest. Furthermore, the incumbent governing Party are happy to go along with this at the next pertinent election. There has been, since 1945 at least, no reward in the UK system for publicly putting Nation before Party. Recent examples were the media treatment of the Deputy PM during the Coalition and the current treatment in the same media of the Leader of the Opposition.

In private in UK, in my experience and acquaintance over decades, it is common for those in UK politics to accept that their formal opponents frequently have many valid arguments. I regard the St John Stevas amendments to the Select Committee system, including to have them Chaired by Opposition MPs, as a great improvement on the former system; and some of the best debates leading to the most effective Amendments to Bills are in the equivalent Committees in the Lords ]
johnm, lobstaboy liked this
By stevelup
lobstaboy wrote:
T67M wrote:
stevelup wrote:

Refusing to have a vaccine as your tiny contribution to the well-being of the society that you are part of because the flying spaghetti monster told you not to have it isn't very 'inclusive' either, is it?
These things work both ways.

Bad example!

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is all for taking full advantage of medical treatments that are available. He approves of wooden legs for pirates whose legs have been lost to cannon fire, he approves of eye patches for sockets that are missing one, and so, where vaccinations are available to prevent scurvy dog sicknesses and others, He approves.

He is not known for suffering the bleating of fools gladly, and this includes the bleating of anti-vaxxers.
By Paul_Sengupta
johnm wrote:The only contraindication I know of is previously known severe allergic reaction to the components in the vaccine.

There are ingredients in the Pfizer vaccine which some people are allergic to. If they know about this, they are given the Astra Zeneca one. However pretty much everyone is being given the AZ one now, presumably because of a combination of cost and availability.

The other thing which could be a problem is if people are severely immuno-depressed. But if they are, I would suggest going to a pub or restaurant at the best of times may not be great for them, let alone during times of pandemic. If the vaccine would do them harm, Covid would certainly do them in rather quickly.
johnm, kanga, MikeB and 1 others liked this
By flybymike
The other thing which could be a problem is if people are severely immuno-depressed. But if they are, I would suggest going to a pub or restaurant at the best of times may not be great for them, let alone during times of pandemic. If the vaccine would do them harm, Covid would certainly do them in rather quickly.

Some people actually care more about living than dying.
Do you actually think that all the old folk locked up in their care homes with no family contact ”for their own protection’ are grateful for this?