For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
With my simple hair, I've been lucky enough to do it myself.

Sitting in the garden right now having my lunch. I loved this part of lockdown working-from-home last summer. Shame I have to go back to the office from next week....

I'm looking forward to a birthday pint from a public house at the end of April!

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By Iceman
I have never had a beard in my life so I thought I’d experiment with how scruffy I can make myself look in four months of lockdown. The results are quite impressive, rather resembling a yeti, I suspect :shock:. I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to the barber so that I can finally get rid of this bloody itchy beard and excess hair :D.

Hairy Iceman 8)
T6Harvard, Pete L liked this
By TheKentishFledgling
I decided to grow a beard at some point in lockdown to see what all the fuss was about. Having done so, I'm more confused than ever why someone would want one. Itchy, scruffy, uncomfy to sleep on, messy. I lasted a month and the relief when I got rid of it was something else.
Iceman, Paul_Sengupta, T6Harvard and 4 others liked this
By Iceman
TKF, I couldn’t agree more ! I vowed that I wouldn’t shave until the day a haircut was available, just to see how bad it got. It will be gone soon, thankfully, never to return again.

Iceman 8)
I sourced clippers to shear DH last year and, being of a pixiecut persuasion myself, got desperate enough to do my own as well. Since I need a cut every 4-6 weeks, I have continued to do it myself. As I've had a couple of accusing comments ("you've had a haircut!") rather than fits of giggles, I continue to do it myself rather than try and find a new hairdresser close to where I am now. Another few quid removed from the economy.
T6Harvard liked this
By skydriller
Iceman wrote:I have never had a beard in my life so I thought I’d experiment with how scruffy I can make myself look in four months of lockdown.
TheKentishFledgling wrote:I decided to grow a beard at some point in lockdown

Been there done that... I had a trip to the sandpit for work where I pretty much knew Id be there 2 months in the desert back in 2017 and took the opportunity to try out that (stupid) idea with the intention of surprising my GF on return... what a disaster that was - without mentioning the itchy uncomfortable :ncool: my problem was the blond-ginger-dark mix made it look less :viking: and more :jocolor: or :clown:

Never again !!

Regards, SD..
Iceman, T6Harvard liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Iceman wrote:I have never had a beard in my life so I thought I’d experiment with how scruffy I can make myself look in four months of lockdown. The results are quite impressive, rather resembling a yeti, I suspect

Why haven't you shared a photo?! :D This is something we need to see! Update you profile pic on Facebook for a day or two...

I think we need to see Skydriller's as well if you have any photos?!

I have to say that friends who haven't shaved this past year look a lot lot older, maybe because I'm of the age where my friends are old enough to grow grey beards. Maybe they're going for the OAP discount at the barbers when then finally go.

I think the most I've ever managed is 4 or 5 days without shaving, then it had to go!
Last edited by Paul_Sengupta on Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6Harvard liked this
When I was in my 20’s and posted to drive Q cars for 12 weeks at a stretch, I used to forego shaving on each tour. I thought it gave me a certain buccaneer look after a few days because my beard grows very fast and I just trimmed it. I was always glad to get rid of it when I went back to uniform duties. After I retired, and 3 decades or more after my last growth, a friend invited me for a sailing holiday on his pride and joy. Water was at a premium so I gave up shaving again. I was horrified by the result. Gone was the Dan Tempest buccaneer and Worzel Gummage had replaced him in the mirror. Never again.

PW
By Nero
I started a beard because the thick hairs on my face constantly caused irritation and inflammation. Now I wouldn't go back!

Maybe grow to a length where it doesn't itch and you can stroke it menacingly?

~ Scott