For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
TheKentishFledgling wrote:Thankfully my hair is sheerable myself, but on April 12 Mrs tKF has a hair appointment AND a trip to the pub booked for the same day. The excitement is palpable!

Mrs PtP and I both agreed we would do each others hair in lockdown. I knew I would be good at it because I do a really neat job on our hedges.

Anyway, hard to believe, but when I fired up the Stihl she had a sudden change of heart. :wink:
T6Harvard, akg1486, skydriller and 5 others liked this
I had my final lockdown haircut from my wife last night. We’ve worked out what to do together, takes about an hour rather than the 15 mins it does at the barbers.

I did hers at the beginning of lockdown (involving a style change too) after we watched multiple YouTube videos together. We did it very slowly and took pictures to discuss bits as we went. Was good fun actually.

She got an accusatory “How have you managed to have a haircut” afterwards, so I was quite pleased!
Last edited by Cessna571 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By BobD
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Most exciting thing so far this year for me was the trip to the airfield yesterday. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, the daffodils were amazing, and I had a flight to look forward to. After months of lockdowm, it really lifted the spirit.

Next thing will be meeting the Grankids again tomorrow, after not seeing them since Christmas? :D
Charles Hunt, T6Harvard liked this
By avtur3
Propwash wrote:When I was in my 20’s and posted to drive Q cars for 12 weeks at a stretch, I used to forego shaving on each tour. I thought it gave me a certain buccaneer look after a few days because my beard grows very fast and I just trimmed it. I was always glad to get rid of it when I went back to uniform duties. After I retired, and 3 decades or more after my last growth, a friend invited me for a sailing holiday on his pride and joy. Water was at a premium so I gave up shaving again. I was horrified by the result. Gone was the Dan Tempest buccaneer and Worzel Gummage had replaced him in the mirror. Never again.

PW

I first grew a beard when serving in GMP in the 80's, our boss was the one and only James Anderton who was known for sporting a full set. To me that was an invitation, if the boss can have one so can I. There was some initial resistance from the ranks immediately senior to me, but that was soon put to bed. I've been bearded ever since.

I still shave most days to keep the edges neat and to keep it comfortable, it is the stubble that itches not the full growth. As the years have gone by and I've become somewhat less interested in any 'style' for my hair I've moved onto clippering myself down to a No4 on a regular basis. It's now a very easy low maintenance job to maintain a neat appearance.

I was horrified a couple of years when I did visit a barber (part of daughter's wedding preparations) and the young Turkish guy cutting my hair told me my beard was trendy ... because I kept it very neat .... that's the nearest I've ever come to shaving it off :lol:

Interestingly Mrs A will not entertain the idea of me shaving it off.
By Paul_Sengupta
Cessna571 wrote:I did hers at the beginning of lockdown (involving a style change too)

Intentional or unintentional style change?

avtur3 wrote:Interestingly Mrs A will not entertain the idea of me shaving it off.

Is she not a fan of what you look like underneath?
kanga, akg1486 liked this
By MikeE
Propwash wrote:When I was in my 20’s and posted to drive Q cars for 12 weeks at a stretch, I used to forego shaving on each tour. I thought it gave me a certain buccaneer look after a few days because my beard grows very fast and I just trimmed it. I was always glad to get rid of it when I went back to uniform duties.

PW

At police training school in the 70's (Cwmbran) a colleague had a magnificent beard. At the first inspection the Commandant informed him that they had a policy on beards: they were allowed off-duty!

Regards

Mike
Propwash liked this
By PeteSpencer
Closest I ever got to a beard was in the 1970s when I had Mungo Jerry style sideburns which reached right right across my cheeks to the corners of my mouth .

I thought they looked great and suited my crazy flared strides and thick soles.

Trouble was ‘er indoors complained because I kept getting Branson pickle in them from my cheese and pickle sarnies. :oops:
Growing a beard in boat service is called “growing a set” - not, balls, you at the back. I grew one on our four month stint south and on arrival back in the U.K. it was - “you can get rid of that right away”. Funny thing is, when you shave off you have a face like a skelp’d erse !
Propwash liked this
A majority of 25-35 year-olds today seem to have a beard. When I was that age (1990s) very few did. I'm glad I was born when I was: I couldn't grow a beard if my life depended on it.

It's odd that beards go in and out of fashion so rapidly. In photos from the late Victorian and Edwardian eras, everyone who was anyone had a beard. And then they disappeared almost completely until a while in the 60s/70s, went away again and came back not that many years ago. I understand that women's hair style in the, let's say, "less visible places" also comes and goes. I'm not in a position to verify that trend personally as my sample size is too small to make generalizations. :D
seanxair liked this
What I can’t understand is the scrawny face hair that the likes of “three bags full” Alan Sugar has.

When I joined the mob in ‘61 it was an offence to cut your hair less than an inch long - it was enough to catch hold of if you needed dragging out of the oggin !
T6Harvard liked this
Bill McCarthy wrote:What I can’t understand is the scrawny face hair that the likes of “three bags full” Alan Sugar has.

If your net worth is more than a billion pounds, you can look anyway you like and people will still say you look good.