For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
akg1486 wrote:
Bill McCarthy wrote:What I can’t understand is the scrawny face hair that the likes of “three bags full” Alan Sugar has.

If your net worth is more than a billion pounds, you can look anyway you like and people will still say you look good.

I think it's also a bit like the bow-tie - stand out in a room full of clean shaven persons in dark grey suits.
T6Harvard liked this
By Rob P
OK. Here's my attempt at face fungus on Day 6 of a trip to Iceland. On my return Mrs P suggested quite emphatically that it might be better removed.

Rob P
By Morten
I don't know. I think a beard can make a man look quite rugged and cool. And some men and some settings suit that better than others. The background in RobP's picture certainly helps to give it a certain look.

Here's me post and pre-Covid. Which of these 2 people would you trust to buy an insurance policy from? And which one looks like he's enjoying life more?
This morning, after a coarse night of rain, you’re up early before dawn to check on the new
lambs in the field. As the sun creeps above the horizon the lambs are gathered together in a huge batch and there they are running up the fenceline at full pelt, they stop, then they run back again only to repeat the drill. Then their mothers call them to order for a brief feed. They have doubled their weight in a fortnight. One of the true joys to witness in the spring. I never tire of it.
kanga, Propwash, Paultheparaglider and 7 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
Bill McCarthy wrote:This morning, after a coarse night of rain, you’re up early before dawn to check on the new
lambs in the field. As the sun creeps above the horizon the lambs are gathered together in a huge batch and there they are running up the fenceline at full pelt, they stop, then they run back again only to repeat the drill. Then their mothers call them to order for a brief feed. They have doubled their weight in a fortnight. One of the true joys to witness in the spring. I never tire of it.

Pics please Bill.

Any little yellow runty ones like last year?
By Paul_Sengupta
Rob P wrote:OK. Here's my attempt at face fungus on Day 6 of a trip to Iceland.

You look quite the mariner there, Rob. Shame Mrs P wouldn't let you go the full Captain Birdseye, could have been entertaining (for us).

Morten wrote:Here's me post and pre-Covid. Which of these 2 people would you trust to buy an insurance policy from? And which one looks like he's enjoying life more?

The one on the left looks like you've completely lost the plot.

Bill McCarthy wrote:They have doubled their weight in a fortnight.

It's taken a whole year of lockdowns for humans.
Right on cue, the “lamb inspector” cometh, right out of the north at 70 miles an hour to check which ones can survive and those who won’t. I’ve brought in the latest newborn and they are packed cozily into odd corners. Out again in a blizzard this morning with a bag of oats for the mums and the young are tucked up behind gorse bushes and bales I put out for added shelter.
The biggest danger is sleet - it sticks to them and they can be hit by hypothermia. The chill can affect the ewes udders as the teats can chap and crack and they won’t let the lambs suckle due to the pain. No problems that I can see yet but after breakfast I’m going to bring them “in by” to keep a closer eye on them.
By-the-way, just another couple of items that you can add to your flight bags (for survival) - plenty of rough oatcakes and barley sugar sweets. At this time of the year I live on oatcakes - it fills you up and really is packed with energy. I use barley sugar sweets as it is the only item of “food” that is stowed in boat escape compartments for survivors, so it’s got to be good !
Charles Hunt, Cessna571, MikeE and 2 others liked this
Bill McCarthy wrote:This morning, after a coarse night of rain, you’re up early before dawn to check on the new

We had a roof that had blown off a shed into a field, which the lambs liked to stand on, so we left it.

One day I watched them playing a game where they would walk 20 yards away, stand in a group, suddenly race at full pelt to it, and the last lamb to arrive would be denied access by the others as “the loser”.
There was lots of jostling on arrival, but all playful.

Once calmed down, they’d all wander back to the start to play again.

Was one of the most amazing things I’ve seen. The organisation, the communication and the joy.
Bill McCarthy wrote:Out again in a blizzard this morning with a bag of oats for the mums

Yesterday we had my wife's cousin round for Easter lunch. Sitting in the garden sunshine for pre-lunch drinks I actually got a bit of sunburn on my face. 8) :lol:
#Tropicalsouth.

I admire your grit, Bill. :wink:

PW
JAFO liked this
Were in the lambing storm at the moment, but we have to endure one yet before we get some peace - that is the Shochad Storm (Lapwing). These have been predictable for eons.
When I see frog spawn in the ditches, which appear at the next full moon, I’ll relax a bit.